Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folksJust a question here. Finding .22 WRf seems almost impossible. I have a 3 digit pistol, and was wondering IF I was lucky to find another cylinder and bored it out to .22 WMR, the old police positive (1910) frame should be able to handle that pressure just fine - right?This way I have to original set up, and could get a little more use out of a nice old pistol.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
The bullet diameter of the .22 WRF is slightly larger -- even if you altered the cylinder I don't think it would be a good idea to shoot .22 WRF in a .22LR barrel. There are a few PP Targets in .22 WRF on GB now. These are great Pre-War Colt Da revolvers that are often overlooked when considering a .22 revolver. Be a shame to alter an original PP Target .22 LR. We will probably never see guns of this quality again. Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bullet diameter of the .22 WRF is slightly larger -- even if you altered the cylinder I don't think it would be a good idea to shoot .22 WRF in a .22LR barrel. There are a few PP Targets in .22 WRF on GB now. These are great Pre-War Colt Da revolvers that are often overlooked when considering a .22 revolver. Be a shame to alter an original PP Target .22 LR. We will probably never see guns of this quality again. Good luck.
The original barrel should be the same diameter. It's not a .22 LR. It's a .22 WRF Winchester Rim Fire. Much like a short version of a .22 magnum. I just don't know pressure tolerances on these old gals off hand. If I could find another cylinder, and it would be safe, I'd like to do it. I am going to check on that ammo site.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,947 Posts

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
The original barrel should be the same diameter. It's not a .22 LR. It's a .22 WRF Winchester Rim Fire. Much like a short version of a .22 magnum. I just don't know pressure tolerances on these old gals off hand. If I could find another cylinder, and it would be safe, I'd like to do it. I am going to check on that ammo site.
I understand what a .22 WRF is. I have two PP Targets chambered in .22 WRF. I think the bore on these is slightly larger in diameter than the bore on my PP Targets chambered in .22 LR chambered. Thus it would not be advisable to fire .22 WRF in a .22 LR barrel. That is my understanding anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,552 Posts
The 22 WMR is too long for the early police positive target on the small frame. I have already place a cartridge outside of the cylinder to check and it would protrude. I don't know about the later larger frame gun. If CCI was all you could get, then I would check to see if it work OK and use it if it worked in your gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.