Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The frame size of this series of Colts has always been a problem when buying replacement grips. 2 books that I just looked at,and my foggy memory,can come up with the following: Original Police Positives,BOTH 32 & 38,used the "narrow" grip from 1907 to around 1923/25. This was the same size as the predecessor "New Police". I know,because,I could swap the grips(hard rupper) from a 32 N.Police Target I had,with those of a regular P.P. Even the Police Positive Specials,in 32/20 and .38 Spec. had this size,as I had a rare 3 inch barrel P.P. Special,that I swapped even for a fine New Service.I can see why they went to the wider grip,as this little gun w/0 a grip adapter was a handful with specials. The round butts were on the Bankers Special Models(some;an option). Even the early Detective Specials had square butts(I still own one). After World War 2,it continues to get confusing! While most P.Ps,now with the longer size frame & cylinders,even in .32 & .38 S&W,had round butts,Ive seen square butts! The short butt,that has a wood filler under the grip bottom,came out with the Agent & the Courier in early 50s. My wife will never let me trade her .32 Courier,but those grips are SMALL! Before I swapped off most of my smaller Colts for larger ones(&some "other" makes),getting replacement grips was a problem by mail(take the gun obviously to a gun show or shop),so ya gotta get measurements exactly from the seller. As an aside,this wide butt,narrow butt,short butt, problem is addressed by Sile & other makers of those "black plastic" replacement grips",as they make different sizes. Unfortunately,there is NO definate serial number date & the P.P. wide/narrow butts look very close in size,especially when you see a great pair of grips in a box at a gun show,and the gun ya want it for is home!! Bud

1 - 2 of 2 Posts