Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquired a 32 police positive 1916 vintage what ammo would be suitable for this revolver.It is in good condition. IMG_0105.jpg

·
Registered
670 Posts
What does the left side of barrel state? It could be either Colt DA .32(.32 colt cartridge), or .32 New Police(.32 S&W Long or Short). Not sure when they ended production of the old Colt .32 cartridge.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
What does the left side of barrel state? It could be either Colt DA .32(.32 colt cartridge), or .32 New Police(.32 S&W Long or Short). Not sure when they ended production of the old Colt .32 cartridge.
Weren't all of the guns with the newer style frame in the New Police cartridge? I think that frame was changed around 1908

·
Registered
670 Posts
Twaits, the best I know is the first edition ran from 1907 to 1927. The grips changed to wood in 1923, but the model change was 1928 model year. Before and up to 1907 they were New Police frames, if that's what you mean, as is my transition 1907 (a leftover New Police frame with PP barrel?). Don't think with Colt there are any hard fast dates on what they used on frame or barrels. Seems they used up their leftovers. There is also some evidence that the Colt cartridge may have hung around beyond 1907-08. You're probably right about a 1916 being .32 New Police, but without knowing serial number and verifying, I would want to see markings on gun...just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have read and been told that the 32 D.A./32 Colt chambering was discontinued in 1913, seems I read that here on coltforum. I own and shoot a PP dated 1910 in 32 Colt, so maybe the 1913 date is valid. I dunno!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The gun I have has Robert T. Hurley engraved on the but plate did some recerch and it seems he was one of the first state police commissioners in Ct.
The family I purchaed it from told me he was a constable in a small town in Ct. before they had the state police.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
The gun I have has Robert T. Hurley engraved on the but plate did some recerch and it seems he was one of the first state police commissioners in Ct.
The family I purchaed it from told me he was a constable in a small town in Ct. before they had the state police.
I'd get it lettered if it were mine. If this engraving was done at the factory it will state it on the letter.
Here's a Police Positive Special I have that had "JMT" engraved on the butt so I lettered it. I wasn't dissappointed.
Not to hi-jack the thread but in case you don't know what the Colt letters look like here it is:

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Twaits, the best I know is the first edition ran from 1907 to 1927. The grips changed to wood in 1923, but the model change was 1928 model year. Before and up to 1907 they were New Police frames, if that's what you mean, as is my transition 1907 (a leftover New Police frame with PP barrel?). Don't think with Colt there are any hard fast dates on what they used on frame or barrels. Seems they used up their leftovers. There is also some evidence that the Colt cartridge may have hung around beyond 1907-08. You're probably right about a 1916 being .32 New Police, but without knowing serial number and verifying, I would want to see markings on gun...just to be sure.
Yup that's what I meant. Most of the earlier style New Police frames with the different triggerguard are in .32 Colt I believe... Or maybe that's only the guns that actually are New Polices :) Then of course you have the transitionals with the Police Positive frame and New Police sideplate. So many different things going on at Colt at that time, many interesting variations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Letter from colt

089.jpg sm-hurley.jpg UOTE=twaits;350552]I'd get it lettered if it were mine. If this engraving was done at the factory it will state it on the letter.
Here's a Police Positive Special I have that had "JMT" engraved on the butt so I lettered it. I wasn't dissappointed.
Not to hi-jack the thread but in case you don't know what the Colt letters look like here it is:

Thanks for that info that is a pic of Robert T. Hurley I did what you recommended and ordered the letter from colt

[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I don't think you will be dissappointed. The engraving on the back strap looks factory to me. Please share the info with us when your letter arrives.
That's a really great old gun with and interesting connection to it's original user. You don't find that often. Its as close as we come to "if this gun could talk"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts