Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a colt pony series 90 how can I tell form the serial# when it was made and how much do these little guys sell for. I have a number of small hand guns but I find this to be the best looking and most fun to shoot I use silver tips in it and it works with out a flaw. I thing I was the first one to shoot it. I carry it with me every were I go. any body out there carry one of these little guys.

------------------

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You can all the factory for the date of manufactor. There is no data for Colts past the mid 80's.
Your pistol was only made a year or two (I think) so they bring a pretty good price from what I've seen. The Pocketlight models seem to be the higher priced item. I've seen the regular Pony's go for around $500 when in like new condition and the lightweight version for closer to $600.

Have you had any problem with pins backing out? That's one complaint I have seen about these pistols. I don't know if this was a problem with the design or just a few examples (or one example whose story is told by several people).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a PonyPocketlite DAO that i bought in about 1999 #NR11XXX
I like it as a second gun to my Glock because it functions the same and all the controls are in the same places (slide lock, mag release) it has been perfectly reliable over the years but the finish is starting to show wear i will probably send it to APW Cogan for refinishing pretty soon.
I have to say there have been some really nice little guns produced in the last few years but still nothing that quite replaces the little pocketlite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, you said you had your pocketlite for a few years now, from 1999, did you ever have to replace the recoil spring? how many rounds do you have through it? or did you ever think about replacing the factory spring and rod I mean the plastic rod with an after market metal rod and spring. and what is the differance between the pocketlite and regular pony? thanks, Tony

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't shoot it a ton these days (maybe a box a year) but when i first got it i shot it a bunch, how many rounds exactly i couldn't say. 1000? enough to be satisfied that it will be reliable (but it must be well cleaned and properly lubed) and to know that it will shoot a box of blazers but once it warms up it has malfunctions with them, but no other ammo, ball or jhp. the local range sells blazer ammo. out to about 25ft it is about as accurate as my Glock 27 (my primary gun)
The pocketlite is the alloy frame version of the Pony
i am about ready to re spring it but am hesitant because of troubles i have had with wolff springs in my S&W revolvers and in Glock magazines and also because it has not had malfunction one yet.
i usually wear my gun strongside in a desantis thumbreak under a t shirt. that is to say up against my skin so the finish on the frame is starting to show some wear and the chrome is long gone from the horsey medallion on the grip. i am currently getting ready to do a refurb on it, i always wanted to send it to Scott, Macdougall and Assoc. but they are no longer doing business.
Mac Scott (one of the partners in SM&A) still has a supply of the guide rods but when they're gone that's it. google his name or SM&A if you want to find him or i'll get you his e-mail (can't right now)they're about $30.00+/-
i am ordering one this week. once i have the guide rod and springs i will send the gun off to Accurate Plating and Weaponry (APW Cogan) in Fla for a refinish
(maybe black chrome or the brushed chrome finish) and a go thru for reliability (they are gunsmiths too)
that should keep me about forever on this little gun since i don't carry it everyday as i had done for a couple of years when it was absolutely necessary that my gun not be seen.
Regards,
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts