Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the slide anyhow. The frame has SN:1259xx, which gives me a 1914 Springfield date from what limited resource I have. The frame is weighted and has a serrated steel trigger.

The rear sight has "Micro" on it in script.
It appears to be all original finish, although the frame is hard to tell as it doesn't have the high gloss finish of the slide.

The fit and function are as smooth, tight and crisp as you'd like. Someone did a good job on it.

I say all this to ask the experts their opinion. I'm not at all knowledgeable about this sort of target pistol, and any insight/opinion would be appreciated.

I'd add photos, but there doesn't seem to be that option. And, if there were, I probably wouldn't be able to figure it out anyhow

Thanks,....Bob....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Bob,

Check this website, www.coltautos.com , it covers commercial Colts including date of manufacture for a given serial number. Using that site, your serial number comes up as a 1957 commercial Colt 38 Super. The 45 caliber Government models and the 38 Super models did not share the same serial number sequence or format as the 45 commercial government models had a C in the serial number. The 38 super government models used just the serial number no prefixed or suffixed letters.

I am assuming that you have a 1911A1 frame with the scalloped trigger guard and not a 1911 frame. I hope this helps.

Tom Hughes

[This message has been edited by TomasNomas (edited 02-14-2005).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. That does help considerably. I went to that website once but thought there was a fee involved for some reason, so I never took the time to figure out how to get around on it.

I don't know what a scalloped trigger guard is, but I think that my trigger would be more accurately described as checkered or knurled.

-Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Bob,

I was referring to the milled scallops at the rear of the trigger guard that distinguish a 1911A1 frame from a 1911 frame which does not have the "feature". If it is a 1911A1 frame with that serial number range then it is most likely a commercial Colt 38 super frame. If it is a 1911 frame in that serial number range, most likely it an USGI frame. Photos would be a big help.

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent a couple photos by email.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts