Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Been a member here for awhile, but haven't posted til now. Lotsa good info here. I'm looking for more information on an old Colt 22 pistol I have. It's a pre Woodsman made in 1922, SN 275xx according to Proof House. It has a 4 1/2 in barrel with an adjustable front sight. I'm pretty sure the barrel is a replacement with a later model barrel. It also has the standard or low velocity mainspring housing which brings me to the info I need; can a stronger spring be installed that will let HV ammo be used without risk of damaging the gun?

Thanks, D

·
Registered
332 Posts
My understanding is not only were the springs different, but the mainspring housing itself was hardened to keep from being damaged by the increased pressure and recoil. I have seen several old MS housings that shot a good bit of HV ammo. They all showed peening which could eventually lead to failure. Just buy subsonic or standard velocity ammo and enjoy! No extra crack of supersonic HV ammo, quieter, easier on old guns. Look at colt22.com for lots of info. Neat gun but you are right about barrel. Sport model 4.5" wasn't introduced till 1933 around SN 87,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I think I'll disassemble it and check for damage to the housing. I've got a couple other newer Woodsman models that I've had apart a few times. Looks like this one would be very similar.
i

1 - 3 of 3 Posts