Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this subject has been asked and answered already in these forums, but I couldn't find it if it has.

I had read that in addition to an inspector's mark in the frame's hammer channel, there were other "obvious" indications that an early 2nd gen SAA had a prewar frame. I'm not a collector of these, so I'm not interested in buying a book on the subject just to answer the question: what are these other "obvious" differences?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Dorsey,
The term "pre-war post war" is strictly a collector's terminology. This refers to SAAs that were assembled after World War II from pre-war parts. All pre-war post war guns have six digit serial numbers. There is a little overlap as the highest serial number shipped before WW II is 357859 shipped in September 1940. The lowest prewar post war serial number is 355986 shipped after the war. A study of Colt's shipping records revealed that six revolvers were assembled before WW II and shipped in the 1950s. 338 revolvers were assembled after the war with prewar frames, and 51 frames were utilized as repair or replacement frames in the 1950s and 60s. The 338 revolvers with pre war frames range in serial number between 356594 and 357856.
The 338 Prewar post war revolvers can be seperated into two groups. The first group were assembled between 1947 and 1954 and had ALL PREWAR PARTS. Those assembled after 1955 will have some post war components.

I think the way to identify a prewar post war gun is the serial number. It should be six digits and fall in the range listed above...

An interesting side note...The last recorded company prewar postwar gun sale was at an auction in Las Vegas on February 2, 1980.

Hope that helps!
Bob Best

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As is often the case, Bob Best comes to the rescue! Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a follow up one the Pre / Post war thread!

If everything is done right I hopefully manage to show you some pictures of my Pre / Post war Single Action Colt!

This beauty is in mint condition. Sn.# 3704xx and fall in the range that Bob mentioned earlier.
It is a 4 ¾ “ cal. 38 spl. Don Wilkersons book, Pre-war Post war model covers the subject and states that only two guns where produced i 38 spl. With 4 ¾” barrels.
Well, in that case..this is one of them!

It was assembled February 3, 1961 with postwar barrel, hammer and trigger. The trigger guard, stocks and frame are all prewar prodution.

As you ( hopefully ) can se, the paperwork, oilpaper and brush is there.

Robbie

·
Registered
18 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
This beauty is in mint condition. Sn.# 3704xx and fall in the range that Bob mentioned earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice, but shouldn't the serial number start with 356 or 357?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts