Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Pre Woodsman 29XXX today. Contrary to what I noted in my earlier post (mistakenly placed in the revolvers section), this gun has wood grips. AFAIK everything checks out correct as per Bob Rayburn's Woodsman site. The bbl is the 6 in pencil type with patent dates on top Dec 22 '03, Aug 27 '18 and Sep 3 '18. Rear sight adjustable for windage only. There are screws in the front sight mount but I don't know if they will allow front sight adjustment. One of my mags is the correct 2 tone type. The floorplate tells me that it might have come with the pistol (no Woodsman name). My other mag is factory replacement, plain blue with "Colt Woodsman cal 22LR" stamped on the floor plate. The gun has a checkered MSH telling me that it is rated for SV 22 ammo only.

Ammo: Assorted: PMC Match, Green Tag, SSS Subsonic 60gr "Sniper Rounds".

Range 15 Yards.

Shooting from armrests.

The gun ran without a malfunction. Tiny sights notwithstanding and regardless of the load it was putting rounds into an inch @ 15 yards. The groups were about 6 inches high but I got the windage dead on. I will need to look up some more online resources to find out what I can do to adjust elevation. The trigger is very crisp with almost no takeup and negligible overtravel. The other controls are well broken in and very easy to manipulate. You can really feel the smoothness that only age can bring to a gun's action in this baby.

I am really very, very happy with this gun. It's not the prettiest thing (about 70-80% blue) but it's a darned good shooter. I don't intend to shoot it heavily, not that I doubt it's durability but I don't know where to get springs and parts for it. However, I cannot see how buying a recent model Buckmark or Mark II would be a better deal. This gun has weathered 80 years of good use. With nothing more than some worn surfaces to detract from it. I doubt that the cast and MIM guns we have these days would last as long as this lovely slab of steel I have. It is very well worth the $299 I spent on it.

------------------
Peaceful Responsible Owner of GUNS
NRA Life Mbr

[This message has been edited by SnWnMe (edited 11-16-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
SnWnMe, you sound like a happy man! Nice pistols, aren't they? A friend loaned me his Colt Woodmsman Match once and they've been my favorite .22 since. There was an Army Master Sergeant years ago named Joe Benner who used one in the Olypmpics. Great guns!

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
It is good to hear the pistol works well. Most do.

It is good that the pistol has the correct wood stocks (remember, if you are going to grow up to be a Colt guy, you MUST learn they are stocks, not grips).

Is the magazine without the "Woodsman" name the correct early "square" spring style with brass follower? (Later magazines have a round spring in the forward cylindrical portion of the magazine body.)

The screws on the front sight are there for adjustment purposes. Loosen the lock screw on the side of the front sight, and turn the other screw at the rear of the base one way or the other to raise or lower the blade. That should allow you to get your elevation right on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Judge, as far as I can tell the follower is not brass. The spring is not square in profile looking from above. It's kinda hard to see but I am almost sure it's round. Thanks for the tip about adjusting the front sight.

------------------
Peaceful Responsible Owner of GUNS
NRA Life Mbr

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I did not do a very good job of explaining the "square" spring for someone obviously not familiar with the spring types. The "square" spring is the shape and size of the entire magazine body, whereas the round spring is about a quarter inch in diameter and fits in the small rounded area at the front of the magazine body. You will be able to see the square spring through the slot in the magazine body, whereas the round spring will not be readily visable through the slot.

A brass follower as found on the square spring magazines will be very obvious. The brass color will show (unless extremely tarnished), and it will of course not be magnetic like the folded-on-edge sheet metal steel follower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts