Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I need some help please with the year of this Python I pick up. The tag on it says 1975. It is not coming up in the Colt database. The SN- I48845.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
No serial number range beginning with an "I" is showing up that I can find. If you go simply by the 48845 it comes up as 1965 manufacture...but the blued sights and orange ramp are wrong for that.

Is that an "S" or a "5" inside the ejector rod housing? If it's an "S" it's a stainless gun though it looks nickel. If it's stainless it's got a well used ultimate finish. Serial number ranges for those guns are not consistent or well known.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No serial number range beginning with an "I" is showing up that I can find. If you go simply by the 48845 it comes up as 1965 manufacture...but the blued sights and orange ramp are wrong for that.

Is that an "S" or a "5" inside the ejector rod housing? If it's an "S" it's a stainless gun though it looks nickel. If it's stainless it's got a well used ultimate finish. Serial number ranges for those guns are not consistent or well known.
. You think it could be a parts Python?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here is what I think for what it is worth. Our I is actually a T. That would put the gun at 1986.

Here is some SS info accumulated from this forum as well as the colt collectors association;

"Stainless- Guns will have an "S" stamped in the ejector rod shroud, underneath the ejector star, and underneath the stocks. ALWAYS check for the “S” before assuming a gun is stainless!! Stainless guns typically have two blued retainer pins in the front sight and can have a blue/red/orange ramp sight. Production began in 1983 (this is actually wrong as they did come out in late 1982)."

It is very possible someone did a little polishing on this gun and that is why the T looks like an I and the front sight pins look "nickel or stainless". I would guess a colt letter would show this as a stain stainless, but regardless I feel pretty confident it is a 1986 Snub SS which is very desirable to have.

Additionally, there was a fad to chrome guns for a while too. You could have something like that here. The roll marks do not look too crisp but it could be the picks. If you post some more photos of them maybe someone with more experience can advise on that.

Again, I am basing this on the info I can currently see.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
It's stainless but may polished to emulate the Ultimate stainless after it left Colt which could account for the worn look. Only an archives letter will tell for sure. Still...a stainless Python snubby has value...just not as much as a documented, pristine example will.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Give Colt a call, They might leave you hanging around on the phone for some minutes but with some persistency you would get some real answers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all your help. We will put this one to bed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts