Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know no one on here has a crystal ball but there are many collectors here on this site. My question is twenty years from now will the 2020 Python be known as the one not to buy when it comes to collectable Pythons because of all the earlier issues? I already have a 6” ordered 1/04/2020, received in June. After my gunsmith fixed the single action trigger it is perfect. But now I have a chance to buy a 4 ¼” for $1,550 out the door. We all know how valuable the Pre 2020 Pythons are, and when CZ finally takes over and quality is unflawed, does the 2020 go down.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Buy it! I have both a 4.25" and a 6" 2020 Pythons...haven't fired the short barrel example yet but the 6" is more accurate than my 1960 Python 6"...admittedly that could be the difference between two revolvers plus the difference isn't much but the new one does shoot tighter groups.

While the new Colt revolvers don't have much of a track record yet for durability I think they will prove tougher than the original and will be trouble free longer. Time will tell on that.

I'm hoping Colt comes out with new versions...a .22 (wishful thinking) and even a blued version. I hope Colt (or CZ now) is listening.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know no one on here has a crystal ball but there are many collectors here on this site. My question is twenty years from now will the 2020 Python be known as the one not to buy when it comes to collectable Pythons because of all the earlier issues? I already have a 6” ordered 1/04/2020, received in June. After my gunsmith fixed the single action trigger it is perfect. But now I have a chance to buy a 4 ¼” for $1,550 out the door. We all know how valuable the Pre 2020 Pythons are, and when CZ finally takes over and quality is unflawed, does the 2020 go down.
Relax you have a few months sale is not final---still going to be awhile. USG has to approve as well. Just think about what is coming down the pike! Save your money..

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
This isn't gonna help you break the 'tie'. My answer is Yes and No. Yes.... because I agree with what SnidelyWhiplas has said above.... "they will prove tougher than the original and will be trouble free longer" and if you're gonna shoot it.....then, shoot it a lot and really enjoy it. Conversely, NO.....because the price is way too high ! These prices can't stay this high for too much longer as people settle down and the inventories / backorders all catch up. Also, I really don't think they're gonna be the 'collector' as the old guns.
Just MHO.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I think the only way the 2020 Pythons will achieve "collector" status is if Colt discontinues them for some reason. They will have their own market value level...just different from the original Pythons which have several levels of desirability and value as it is.

If Colt would produce some limited edition Pythons that might make a difference but they're selling all they can produce now and as has been pointed out several times...they would be "contrived" collectibles. Maybe a run of 3" Pythons?

Reactions: Altonv

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I own both the 6" & 4.25". Just based on that I'd say yes. Now on the other hand, I try never to buy anything hoping that the value will be something much higher in the future. Look at the M1911's, there was a time when they were what $17.00 a piece and guys didn't give a second thought to Bubba ing them up any way they wanted, now the value is out of this world, IMHO, just for the shear number of them out there. My point being, I buy what I like now and if in 25 - 30 years (I hope) one of my heir's gets a really valuable gun, good for them. If not, then they'll have one hell of a shooter! Just my 2 cents.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say buy it, it isn't an obscene price, at all, and you'll enjoy it. I'm not sure what more CZ would do to "unflaw" the quality, as it seems Colt is producing some pretty excellent revolvers as it is.

Which of course is the pinch, we really don't know what CZ will do, if it happens. Could be Python production is moved, or changed, improved or not. In a few years you might be seeing Pythons with a "Colts Mfg. Little Rock Arkansas" rollmark.....

Problem with my Pythons is they are too nice to shoot, which is ridiculous, but it's the way it is, having a Python I could just enjoy, throw in a holster, shoot all the time, that'd be great.

Regardless, buy it,, if I knew where it was I would :)

·
Premium Member
7,673 Posts
The “legacy” pythons are in a collectors price market , and will remain that way because that Python model is out of production. There will always be some slow increase in value, even though colt made a pile of pythons. Demand.
the new pythons. colt has been cranking them out. Best that I can tell , the serials have reach up into over 30,000 already, and they still stayed all bought as fast as they become available. The price may settle out and come down to at or slightly below msrp, but still not real soon.. too many gun folks still want one.. or another one.
if you had 5 , I’d say no, but I got to say yes . YES, to owning one in each barrel length.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are looking to invest, put the money in an IRA. If you want somthing that will give you some pride in ownership and some recreation, buy the gun. Either way you'll get your moneys worth.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Absolutely, for that price purchase and enjoy it. I have the 4.5" Python and I am planning to purchase a 6" model, perhaps a 2 1/2 inch barrel length if Colt decide to manufacture in the future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will always be the first to say that one should buy what they want, and not because of the general consensus (unless purchasing as an investment...different rules there). If you want another 2020 Python, then get it.

To me, the new ones will always be a production line revolver that cut costs over the originals. That doesn't mean that they aren't a good revolver, but I firmly believe that 30 - 40 percent of the cost associated with them is due to the name...and this is coming from a Colt fan and collector.

That is why if I wanted a shooter, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new one...as long as I could find it without the markup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the 2020 Python will get some collector appeal. I say this because I was WRONG about the King Cobra. I never thought in a million years that it would increase in value when it was introduced. I still don't understand why they're going for the amount they're going for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the 2020 Python will get some collector appeal. I say this because I was WRONG about the King Cobra. I never thought in a million years that it would increase in value when it was introduced. I still don't understand why they're going for the amount they're going for.

No kidding, the first gun I bought was a 6" stainless King Cobra, with some of my HS graduation money, in 199tysomething......

Regardless of how much I love that revolver and will never let it go, I bought it because I had been given a vintage ANIB Python as a graduation gift, and simply wanted a gun, a Colt, to enjoy and shoot with my friends. If you had told me the $400. out the door or so I paid would go quadruple in value I would have told you to lay off the glue.....

It's a great gun and all, but wow.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buy it if you got the money. That’s a pretty good deal! I brought a 2020 4” & 6”. Wife even bought herself a 2020 4”

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will always be the first to say that one should buy what they want, and not because of the general consensus (unless purchasing as an investment...different rules there). If you want another 2020 Python, then get it.

To me, the new ones will always be a production line revolver that cut costs over the originals. That doesn't mean that they aren't a good revolver, but I firmly believe that 30 - 40 percent of the cost associated with them is due to the name...and this is coming from a Colt fan and collector.

That is why if I wanted a shooter, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new one...as long as I could find it without the markup.
I refused to pay an inflated price for one. I went to a Turners and placed an order, took several months but now I have a legally obtained Colt Python and got it for about twenty bucks over Colts MSRP. (I say legally obtained due living in the PRK).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update to this story the person I am buying the Python from is my wife's uncle who lives next door. He is retired but makes extra money at gun shows. He has a agreed to take in trade a M&P EZ 9mm in trade with cash to make this happen. I am meeting with him today to make it official. All my guns are shooters, I don't buy guns for investments, but if I don't like them it is nice to get most of my money back in trade like the M&P. I lost my rear on a Benelli Super Sport once.
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well its official, picked it up yesterday. Although the SA is not as sweet as I would like it, it is crisp and the issue with the hammer going backwards does not happen on this gun. Fits very well in my hand and I like the lighter color of hand grips versus my six inch which I replaced with 1960 hand grips. Sorry not the best picture taker, and yes I should of removed the tag.
pythons.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts