Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Colt catalog from 1981 and while looking through it I found something I almost forgot about. In 1981 Colt announced the Python was available in 22 LR and 22 Mag calibers. It was also the year of the Python Target 38 Special Cartridge (I remembered that because I have one). I have to wonder if Colt has considered this with the new Python or bringing back the Diamondback (which would be on the Cobra Frame)?

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
I (and many others) would love to see a .22 Python...it would probably be the premier .22 revolver made anywhere...though it would be heavy. Whether people at Colt have considered it I've no idea...maybe they have...maybe not. They need to get the launch of the new Python straightened out and full production going to make it a success before considering any new calibers (if they ever do). Besides a .22 Python I personally would want one in 10mm. Maybe Colt could put out matched sets of three in those calibers...or four if you add .22 Magnum.

A new Diamondback would be welcome as well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I (and many others) would love to see a .22 Python...it would probably be the premier .22 revolver made anywhere...though it would be heavy. Whether people at Colt have considered it I've no idea...maybe they have...maybe not. They need to get the launch of the new Python straightened out and full production going to make it a success before considering any new calibers (if they ever do). Besides a .22 Python I personally would want one in 10mm. Maybe Colt could put out matched sets of three in those calibers...or four if you add .22 Magnum.

A new Diamondback would be welcome as well.
I like this idea!! Or maybe along the lines of a Dan Wesson Pistol Pak. There ya go Colt's!! Get on it, the "Python Pistol Pak"...3" for the .22, maybe 7.5 on the 22 mag. Would be neat, no doubt!

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
It would also be frightfully expensive...and Colt would likely sell out the first day of release...and show up on Gunbroker immediately for twice MSRP or more.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I recently read an article that , IIRC , said the .22 Python was never produced and those shown in Colt ads and catalogs were non-firing toolroom mock-ups.

Has anyone ever seen a .22LR or .22WMR Python in person?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd love to see a Diamondback in .357 eventually. If S&W can do it with a J frame, I think Colt could do it also. That's be a sweet carry gun for a revolver guy.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Colt can do it with the King Cobra. Just give it a Diamondback barrel profile and and a few other milling changes in the top strap and you have it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I found a Colt catalog from 1981 and while looking through it I found something I almost forgot about. In 1981 Colt announced the Python was available in 22 LR and 22 Mag calibers. It was also the year of the Python Target 38 Special Cartridge (I remembered that because I have one). I have to wonder if Colt has considered this with the new Python or bringing back the Diamondback (which would be on the Cobra Frame)?
They do exist, but are a little pricey:

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/20946-greg-martin-auction-update.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a pic of the 1981 catalog cover, a pic of the cataloged Python and the specs, a pic of the page devoted to the 22 caliber Python. All in the 1981 catalog. This is also when they came out with the 8" barrel and the Python Hunter with the Leupold scope and the Halliburton case. The thought of a Python in 22 LR caliber practically makes me weep!!

20200305_110641-1.jpg 20200305_110756-1.jpg 20200305_110717-1.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I own 2 Diamondbacks: Nickel 4" 38 Special and Blue 6" 22 LR. What has always bothered me about the Diamondback 22 is that the trigger is too skinny for serious target work or even serious plinking. It does have a nicely raked hammer. The new Cobra/King Cobra actions to me at least feel better overall. The sa and da trigger pulls are better for certain. If they built a 22 on that frame and had a hammer like the old Diamondback and a trigger that was at least wider than the old one, they could have something damn nice.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,612 Posts
I would expect that at some future time Colt will chamber the new King Cobra in .22 and possibly call it the new Diamondback.

I rather doubt they'll offer a .22 new Python, but hope springs eternal.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Although no vent rib , the last issue 22 OMM has the same trigger,frame,and lock work as the Python.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Pythons in 22LR never went into production. 22mag cylinders......nope....

DiamondBacks in .357 mag will never happen, the frame just isn’t up to it, the frame obsoleted out & there is just not enough “meat” to handle this high pressure cartridge.

Colt has its hands very busy trying to satisfy market demand for their new superb Python, & King Cobra. A revolver renaissance indeed!

Make the new Python in 22LR? Perhaps. 22LR in the King Cobra, yes, a better possibility. S&W have barrelled their new revolvers in a convenient 4.2” length to satisfy export orders. What the hell is wrong with Kimber?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts