Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in the proces of buying my second Python. (first is a '77 6"RB) This takes a while in the Netherlands for the paperwork to clear.
A shiny 4 inch supposed to be hardly used. Just a couple of boxes through the barrel. Sellers wife owned it but stopped shooting years ago.
As Dutch shooters can only haven 5 firearms on their permit he's selling.
SN is PN031x6 that is supposed tot be after 1990.
Has anyone on this forum more info for me? Stainless/nickel? Exact year?
It came originally with a rubber Hogue grip (looks like 'cause that was not a pachmayr and certainly no wood)
Looked to be in very good state, DA like butter. They don't make 'm anymore and we don't see 'm much on the market overhere. Comes with a custom wood grip with thumb rest, speed loader, holster, no case or book.
I don't think €500 is a high price (although it is for a second hands gun overhere ) He wouldn't negotiate anyway and I did try =D
Any comments?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No photo's yet. Guy lives at the other side of the country. Next visit i'll have it with me and i'm shooting it it and pictures too.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
SaBer, I own Python Serial Number PN03807, Royal Blue 4" with wood "Elite" style stocks. I dated the Python to 1995 manufacture date, but might be off by a year or so. I do not have a box or documents for this Python and feel like I could sell it here in the Classifieds for about $2250, give or take. 500 Euro is a great price by US standards.

Best of luck with your opportunity!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Finally!!! Got it home today, paperwork got through early.
Technically it's in new state. Physically it shows to be from 1993. Why do people abuse those screws?
Happy owner of my second snake anyway. The Hogue grip is apparently what it came with original.
The Karl Knill with thumb rest fits like a glove, I'll be on the range tomorrow =D.

anybody any idea if this is Nickel or stainless? How to tell?

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love the Python prices here in Europe. Much more realistic than the overpriced hype in the US. Looks like a bright stainless. Check for yourself ... there must be a small "s" stamped in the barrel shoud, on left lower frame under grip and under the ejector on center bushing of the cylinder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the Python prices here in Europe. Much more realistic than the overpriced hype in the US. Looks like a bright stainless. Check for yourself ... there must be a small "s" stamped in the barrel shoud, on left lower frame under grip and under the ejector on center bushing of the cylinder.
The "s" is right there. Learned another fact, thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can I polish mine to a mirror finish like this again or would I be ruining my Python?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can I polish mine to a mirror finish like this again or would I be ruining my Python?
Ciao! Buy the Cape Code cloth and work on your Python. You'll erase all the superficial scratch and the gun will be amazing (look the photos of my python)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
89 points on 25 meters best 10 shots of the evening with the 4 inch. Trigger should just pass for official match, thats over 1360 gram.

With the 6" I scored 228 points (out of 240)on the discipline "military pistol" (Officers' match?) today on a official match.
That is standing and from one hand; 6 shots on 25m in 3 minutes, 6 shots on 20 meters 15 seconds, 6 shots on two targets kneeling 12 sec, 6 shots on three targets in 9 sec.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was wondering about the very smooth trigger. On Dutch competition a trigger is not allowed under 1360 gram (1,36 kg)
It passed barely. It's definitly under 1500 gram. Could be the mainspring wich feels a bit weak.
Only problem is on some factory ammo (magtech 38wc/S&B 357) with "hard" primers it occationly fails to fire. I can see a dent from the pin but no bang. No problem on the range, its not 2 out of everery box but not nice in competition.

My 6" always fires. But that is a heavier trigger, snappier mainspring. Which is harder in competition of course.
Federal primers should solve this but that ammo is hard to get in NLD.
Unless I start reloading myself, then those are the primers to use almost by default.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ciao! Buy the Cape Code cloth and work on your Python. You'll erase all the superficial scratch and the gun will be amazing (look the photos of my python)
That cloth smell funny but works like a charm! Thanks for that tip. My watch looks like new too :)
what to use on the front and upper dull parts? Sandpaper with ballistol? What grain?
or just leave it......?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a hard choice to make.

I can only own 5 guns in the Netherlands.
An AR 15 or similar is in the planning but by now I own:

Colt Python 6" RB '77
Colt Python 4" SS '94
SIG 210-5 customised with magwell, nickel lower, side mag release, 5" barrel. Sweetly tuned competition 9mm
Dan Wesson classic 45acp, my last purchase and I look forward to the paperwork to come through.
Glock 19 with dpm recoil reductionspring, nicht sights, extended slide release and 2kg trigger.

So one has to go........guess it'll be the Glock, i could always rebuy on of those...but that is a darn sweet gun too.
Parting with a SIG is not an option of course. Those are unicorn over her, Swiss precision clockwork.
But to part with a Python..........

Or not shooting rifle.......

That would be an advantage of living in the US I guess.

to get to this collection I already sold of: CZ 75 shadow, SigSauer p228 (West Germany) and my first peashooter; Walther p22

I'd like to collect.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Move to America, in Tennessee I can have all the guns I want or can afford. We need all the gun people we can get, legal ones anyway

1 - 20 of 20 Posts