Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt Python 6\" Nickel Inquiry

Hi folks,

Found a used 6" Nickel finished Python for sale. Owner says he has shot approximately 1000 rounds through it. I would rate the gun at about 90% - 95 with box. What do you think it is worth?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Re: Colt Python 6\" Nickel Inquiry

When you say 90-95%, are we talking scratches ? Flaking nickel ? Wear through on the Nickel ?
In other words, why are you knocking off 10% on the finish ?
Nickel usually holds up very well, if cared for properly.
Is the wear from being in a holster ?
If the nickel is flaking or pealing, you may want to rethink your purchase.
The Box is numbered to the gun & woodgrain with insert ?
Grips/stocks are factory wood and not some $10 plastic ones ?
The gun still locks up nice and tight and is not out of time ?
Give us a little more info on the Python if you would not mind to help with your evaluation.

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sorry for the lack of info. The weapon is in great mechanical condition. Locks up tight and timing is right. The knock down in percentages is due to very light scratches from I think cleaning with something slightly abrasive. The grip is non factory and the box is blue with the cardboard cover and numbered to the gun.

Thanks again.
FC

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Is it a Custom Shop box, although I belive they usually only have the numbers on a sleeve? That would lead to a question of whether the stocks were clearly non-factory or perhaps custom. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

No just regular colt box. Grips were changed by original owner. Any thoughts on the $$$?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

I'm not sure why the comment was made about a custom shop box, but I would have to guess with Minty original wood stocks anywhere from $1000-$1300 depending on the scratches and how bad or good it looks. Missing the original stocks, take off at the very least $100. You can't buy a nice set for less than around $150 now.
Hope that helps.
Nickel 100% Pythons in original box with original stocks are bringing around $1400-$2000 depending on barrel length at this time.

Good luck, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why the comment was made about a custom
shop box,

[/ QUOTE ]

Only because they're also a blue box with a cardboard cover and you're never sure unless you ask. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts

You can't really judge a firearm by a picture.

However, unless it's a wreck, just about ANY Python is worth $800 these days, and in a year or so, you'll be kicking yourself for passing on "that GREAT deal".

·
Registered
689 Posts

In addition to the previous input let me add that nickel is very hard to photograph. It has a tendency to exaggerate any and all minor fallacies... Simply judging by photos themselves is very difficult thus a (negative hit) reguarding the net auction sites... However, I am in agreement that $800.00 for a Python!!! I'd Do it...
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well, Thank you all for the input. I am off to get the gun. Can't go wrong with the logic that the prices of the Python keep going up.

Thanks.
FC

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Simply judging by photos themselves is very difficult thus a (negative hit) reguarding the net auction sites... However, I am in agreement that $800.00 for a Python!!! I'd Do it...
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely the correct statement. Saw it in person and it was very nice... so nice I bought it. The gentleman who I got it from also brought along a 4 in Satin Finish Nickel plated 4" also for me to take a look at. I bought that one too. I got one heck of a deal. Get this, $1500 for the two. "K" serial numbered guns with the original styrofoam box containers and cardboard numbered sleeves. Suffice to say, I AM HAPPY! Thanks for all your help.

FC

·
Registered
689 Posts

You aquired to outstanding Revolvers for an even better price...

Way to go,

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well here they are... Just can't get enough.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts