Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm heading to a gun show this weekend and am looking for a Colt Python. I have done what I consider good research on the Python. I am looking for a 4" to 6" Stainless shooter. It doesn't have to be perfect. My philosophy is I will keep it but use it. That being said, what is a fair price for the gun. Would there be a huge difference in stainless vs blued? There are a few around Atlanta now that are running $1500+.

Any comments, prices or suggestions?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Blue will be easier to find and probably 300-500 cheaper. I like both from a collector standpoint but if I could only have one and wanted to shoot a lot would probably pick the stainless. Both will wear well and probably appreciate nicely if you keep them clean and store properly. I'm also from Atlanta and my experience finding anything worthwhile and fairly priced at a gun show is not promising. A want to buy ad here is a good way to get a fair price and less risky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'll rethink tomorrow then. An impulse buy on a Saturday would probably not get me a good deal.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum. You qualified what you're looking for as a shooter grade Python in stainless. Yes, the stainless will generally bring more, everything being equal. Check Gunbroker for some sold prices to get an idea but if you can buy a decent Python for $1500 in your area, snap every one up that you can get your hands on. They're still the hot ticket right now and the bottom is yet to fall. :cool:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Had a 6" stainless that I let go about 18 mos. ago. 95% or better, for $1000. Dammit, dammit, dammit! Oval dealers told me it was 60%, offered less than $600, one commented(out of my earshot, he thought), that Colt tried one in 44 Mag and it blew up! Everything they have is the best, all mine is junk, they know everything and I know nothing. Why, because I'm not a dealer? I've found that most of 'em know less than I do, thanks to this forum. I don't trade anymore, heck with most of them. I'm tired of being the sucker. May not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but, c'mon, gimme a break!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Had a 6" stainless that I let go about 18 mos. ago. 95% or better, for $1000. Dammit, dammit, dammit! Local dealers told me it was 60%, offered less than $600, one commented(out of my earshot, he thought), that Colt tried one in 44 Mag and it blew up! Everything they have is the best, all mine is junk, they know everything and I know nothing. Why, because I'm not a dealer? I've found that most of 'em know less than I do, thanks to this forum. I don't trade anymore, heck with most of them. I'm tired of being the sucker. May not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but, c'mon, gimme a break!

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you can find a 6" stainless for $1500, jump on it. Unless it looks like it has been run over by a truck. Even then stainless can be cleaned up.
This is good advice, stainless is still very high. I would say your going to be north of 2k for one right now. And that's to start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts