Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Sir,

I just purchased a Colt Python Revolver with the 4" barrel. I would like to purchase a longer barrel for this gun. The problem is that two types of barrel threads exists. Old style and New style. My gun, according to the serial number (starting with the letter "E"), has an old style thread. Someone is willing to sell me a new 6" barrel. However, he is not sure what type of thread it is. How can these barrel threads be identified?

Thank You,
Pavel

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
I retired just before the new style threaded guns came out, so I'm not sure what they were.

The OLD model Python and other Colt E&I frame guns used .5634-32 threads.

The Colt J, V, and AA Mark III/King Cobra used .562-36 threads, and this MIGHT be what they used as the "new style" threads on the Python.

I'd suggest a call to either Colt, or Brownell's Gunsmith Supply for info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
I retired just before the new style threaded guns came out, so I'm not sure what they were.

The OLD model Python and other Colt E&I frame guns used .5634-32 threads.

The Colt J, V, and AA Mark III/King Cobra used .562-36 threads, and this MIGHT be what they used as the "new style" threads on the Python.

I'd suggest a call to either Colt, or Brownell's Gunsmith Supply for info.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank You for reply. This is a discription of the threads, that I received from the seller: "22 threads looking from the top of the rib". What is it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sounds like the seller is just counting the number of threads he sees starting at the rib back to the forcing cone. You can measure threads per inch that way, but you also need to know the thread pitch.
Ask the seller to have the threads measured with a thread guage (any machinist can do it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts