Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've been lurking these forums looking for an answer to my problem but I figured the best way to get an answer is to ask myself so here I go.I purchased a beautiful 1980 6" Colt Python in Electroless Nickel off of Gunbroker, in very good condition, no scratches, no chips or dings in the original wood grips, just a beautiful revolver and my first one. I went and picked it up from my FFL Dealer, got it home and opened the box, and noticed 2 things that concerned me right away:The Ejector rod was almost completely unscrewed (it may have been done for shipping but I tightened it and problem solved).And the cylinder release latch is VERY wobbly. The Cylinder locks in place and comes out fine, the latch does it job, it's just very wobbly.Can I shoot it with this wobble? Should I send it to Colt and get it fixed or not worry about it? Here's a video of my Python and it's problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCGqZiF9cMg

·
Registered
239 Posts
While not perfect, it's not a real issue. The cylinder locks up properly and the latch performs the intended job. Shoot the gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you do a "Search"? Type in "loose cylinder latch" as there are several old threads with answers.
Well, to sum it up, it seems that the consensus is:
1) Sometimes they just do that. Don't worry about it.
2) You might be able to peen the sideplate or latch to fix it but you better have mad skills and big stones to do that.
3) There is a nylon bushing on the latch that can be renewed with weed whacker line.

I have spent quite a lot of time looking for a picture of #3. Can someone post one of a link to one? If I'm envisioning #3 correctly, it seems to me that it would only address movement that closes the gap between side plate and latch and would not do much at all to prevent the rotation about the plane of the sideplate that is shown in the OP YouTube video.

I came across this thread with illustrated disassembly of a Colt's revolver. It's not a Python though it should be pretty representative. This particular piece does not have the nylon latch insert.
Gunsmithing Colt's DA revolvers OP to Python.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have that problem now on a 69 Python, and to answer one of your questions it is safe to shoot Yes ... and MACE thanks for the link about the nylon bumper did not know that one ... one of these days I might just fix it :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone, I think I'll leave it like it is. I definitely don't want to take the firearm apart, and I'm not sure how to do the weed wacker cord trick (hard to picture it in my mind, much less actually do it). I looked behind the latch as far as I could without taking the gun apart and can see a white dot of nylon on the backside of the latch.Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
When I was new to Pythons, and "youtube" had never been thought of, nor web sites either, and for that matter I don't know if Jerry Kuhnhausen had yet learned to write, I disassembled a 6" nickel Python completely.

I had an NRA copy of firearm assembly/dis-assembly (still do) which made no mention of the little nylon buffer. In my belief that NOTHING of a "plastic" nature would be on a Colt firearm, I figured it must have been some residue from packing and handling at the factory. So..I proceeded to trim it off flat against the back of the latch with a razor blade.

It made no difference at all to it's shooting. I was, and still am, very carefull and precise in opening and closing revolver cylinders, always indexing to the cylinder notch when closing to avoid as much drag line as possible. Many thousands of rounds in bullseye contests, and years later, I learned that Colts do have a little dab of plastic, and finally did the weed eater trick, while down for a new vee mainspring. Luckily, the latch did not mar the side plate where it can be seen, all those years without it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1979 Python six inch revolver. The cylinder latch works, but is very loose...as you say, it is wobbly. This doesn't seem normal to me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The ejector rod was loose as well? Just speculation, but maybe somebody disassembled the gun and forgot to put the spring/plunger back into the cylinder latch assembly, and it's wobbly because it doesn't have that support.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have that problem now on a 69 Python, and to answer one of your questions it is safe to shoot Yes ... and MACE thanks for the link about the nylon bumper did not know that one ... one of these days I might just fix it :)
FYI.....16 months later mine still wobbles never fixed it shoot it every month and never had an issue

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I guess its just like a knee and the ACL (ligament).
My knee wobbled but worked for 10 years until I finally had the ligament replaced.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts