Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a circa 1977 nickel plated .357 Python serial# 61284e privately purchased in the early 80's

The plating has some clouding and some areas with small pitting on the barre and side plates. I am considering selling it in order to pick up a smaller firearm for home defense. Is it worth sending the Python in to have it re-plated? Does re-plating drastically affect the value?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Bill

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Pictures will naturally help.

If you're thinking of getting rid of it - don't put the money into replating costs.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree with dogface6, if selling, don't re-nickle. Pictures would help and who knows, you may sell it right here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with dogface6, if selling, don't re-nickle. Pictures would help and who knows, you may sell it right here.
Thanks to dogface6 and Parrisjr for the advice. Still unsure about giving it up, but at least I'd still have the 1977 .45 Gold Cup National Match.:) I'll post pics of the damage when I get the chance. Time to get ready for work now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I recently purchased a 1982? nickeled Python. The previous owner had called Colt to see about replating. They quoted him 385$ for a refinish, so he told me. I deducted 385$ from his asking price and another 100$ and offered him cash. He took it. It is a fine shooter and you really have to look to see the chips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts