Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Hello, I am new to the group so forgive the generic questions.

I am looking to determine a manufacture date on several Colt pistols that I own. Can anyone tell me when the following were made:

Python: V938xx
Diamondback (22lr): S680xx
Commando: 499xx

Are there any good books or good sites out there with complete information? Lots of sites that I visited only had partial charts.

Thanks!
Seabee CO

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I would suggest that you read this recent thread about reference books on Colts. Most of the reference books stop in the mid-1980's. Any Colt firearms newer than that require a call to Colt Customer Service which they will provide for free. No other information will be provided for free.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=28127&an=0&page=0#Post28127

Python: 1980
Diamondback: 1981
Commando: circa 1942-1943, approx if it is an old one. Someone else needs to verify the Commando date. There were 50,617 made just prior to and during WWII. It was essentially an Official Police revolver refined for military production. There is a more recent model made in 1984-1986 time frame. I believe it was called the Commando Special. It is essentially a matte finish (parkerized) Detective Special according to the Blue Book. I am not particularily knowledgeable on the Commando.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts