Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as I am a distance shooter, I know only a small amount about high end revolvers.

I was told that there may be some folks on this forum who could advise me. I am interested in a fancy revolver for my Father for Christmas. I found this gun on gunbroker, and I know that Colt Pythons are super high quality.
I've asked a few friends to see if this gun was a good deal and this is where they led me. The buy it now price seems a little high but I would be willing to pay that for this occasion, since it is a suprise. Can any body give me any insight on what they think... If its a good deal, anything I should know about it..... any help would be awesome

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I am the current high bidder on that piece and it is a nice one. Having the box and all paperwork is very important to the value. I am assuming by ALL paperwork he means the test target also which is a nice plus. I am a dealer and placed a bid where I could buy it and make a few bucks selling it off. The Buy it now is not a screaming deal but a fair price to pay. The Blued versions are a bit harder to come by than the stainless. If you want a great gun at a fair price, this is your piece.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
If you are wanting a very high quality revolver for its beauty, fit, finish, and investment piece, then go with the Python. If you want one to shoot at long distances (for a 357 magnum) in the bullseye, then get you a Smith and Wesson 686 or 686-1 with the 8 3/8 inch barrel, these usually always shoot fantastic. Also the Performance Center 686s with 6 inch and longer are GREAT but will cost more. I would try to find a Pre-Lock one, but with the performance center you will probably be safe with a lock. Do NOT buy a regular 686 with the Lock, and like I said, I strongly recommend the 686 or the 686 dash one. A Smith 586 with 6 inch or preferably 8 3/8" would be a great choice also, but are harder to find. Smith 27s and 28s are really good choices also. jmho.

EDIT: LOL I jsut noticed you want it for your Father for Christmas, so disregard the upper statement:bang_wall:. Too many things going on at once...

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am the current high bidder on that piece and it is a nice one. Having the box and all paperwork is very important to the value. I am assuming by ALL paperwork he means the test target also which is a nice plus. I am a dealer and placed a bid where I could buy it and make a few bucks selling it off. The Buy it now is not a screaming deal but a fair price to pay. The Blued versions are a bit harder to come by than the stainless. If you want a great gun at a fair price, this is your piece.
A very honest answer from someone who knows the market well. I agree you may find a better price but it is going to take some time and effort as the Elites are harder to find as fewer were made.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
If your looking for a collectors item then I say you have the right gun. If your looking to fire it then your spending way too much cash for something that is going to decrease in value soon as you pop a round out of it. In my opinion buy your self a regular Python in new condition there are many out there. It is a great deal of money to pay for an extra word on the barrel. All Pythons are the same. They are great revolvers and are all hand fitted no matter when they were made. Keeping that in mind I would look for others out there and save your self $1000. You still will get the same quality gun just doesn't have the extra word roll marked on the barrel. That's what I would do. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Stevez
1 - 6 of 6 Posts