Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now,
After Colt made their mind up to make a top quality target 357 magnum revolver, they wanted it to be special in every way.
They experimented with barrel lengths and new designs.
This one pictured below has a few different designs.
This one introduces the shrouded ejector rod and top rib to the barrel as well as a machined target front sight and some other machining characteristics that you can see the entire barrel length.
The frame is not rounded at the point where it meets the barrel like you find on the Trooper and 357 models.
The front sight is actually wonderful as the ramp part of it fills the rear sights opening perfectly.
This prototype is chambered in 357 magnum and is balanced nicely.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
That Python has a really great profile. I'm not fan of vent ribs or full-lugs but do like ejector rod shrouds so find this prototype Python particularly appealing.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Interesting prototype development, and barrel grooving.
Looks like they more or less just recycled the barrel design minus the grooving for the later Trooper Mark III.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
That Python has a really great profile. I'm not fan of vent ribs or full-lugs but do like ejector rod shrouds so find this prototype Python particularly appealing.
+1 -- I never liked the vent rib on any handgun! I also don't like full length under lugs. They seem silly. Thanks for posting pictures of this interesting revolver.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Nothin' wrong with that thing.
Nothin' wrong with the typical production model either.
That one there is a very nice piece, indeed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Man. Chrysler made some really neat cars back then [my high school years].

Very pleasant and business looking, like they had it right in the first place.

But I guess they felt a need to vent rib it because it just wasn't flamboyant enough for the era. I mean, look at the kinds of cars they were building back then!

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Very interesting gun. Thanks for posting.

Barrel looks too much like a S&W for my tastes. Glad they went with the bull barrel.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are more than welcome.
No sense in having this stuff if I can't share it.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts