Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I bought a set of Python grips from CDNN. They were advertised (without a picture) as "Colt Factory Grips", so I thought I was buying a set of the "classic" walnut checkered Python grips. Here's what I got:

I was disappointed, but I went ahead and "fitted" them to my Python and they look OK.

But I've been thinking that maybe Colt changed wood grip styles during the transition from wood to Pachmayrs. Does anyone know if this grip was ever a Colt "factory" grip?

Here's a close-up of the medallion - it shows only the front (or top) half of a rather "un-Colt-looking" pony and appears to have 150 under the Colt :

Could this 150 signify something like '150th Anniversary' or '150 Years'?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
794 Posts
skeezix, I have seen such furniture for sale in the past. These Medallions have been discussed here in this forum to some extent. To net it out these are the so called 150 Year Anniversary Medallions. Since the company's inception was in 1836, these medallions were used to celebrate the event in 1986. I also know for a fact that they were used through 1988 based on brand new guns in my collection that were purchased by me as the original owner/purchaser. i do not own a Colt made in 1989 so I can't say if 150 was used that year. I have stated in another post that this medallion shows up on both revolvers and semi-autos of the same timeframe.

I have seen these medallions on grips/stocks that were available from distributors such as CDNN, Gun Parts, Sportsman's Guide and the like. I would not however go so far as to say that grips/stocks with these medallions were NOS (new old stock) from the 1986 to 1988 period. More likely there was an excess of medallions that were purchased by some grip maker like Sile and used to produce after market replacement stocks.

Having owned some Pythons of the period of these medallions, I can say I have never seen an original Python shipped from the factory with stocks like you have pictured.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer to a question that had been bugging me for a long while. I had seen a couple of Colt revolvers with wood grips with the "150" medallions, but they were different styles than mine. My guess is that my grips were produced with surplus medallions. Mystery solved.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
These were foreign-made grips.

Some are "hardwood" with no Colt medallions, and some are some kind of walnut with Colt medallions.
This is the first set I've seen with the 150th medallions.

At one time, "apparently" Colt sold this type briefly as a "replacement", packed in a factory wrap package.

Colt NEVER installed these grips at the factory, so if they're on a Colt revolver, they were put on after it was shipped.

I fairly often see these, both with and without the medallions on Colt's up for sale.

Either the owner is replacing obviously non-original rubber or other aftermarket grips, OR the original grips have been robbed, possibly for sale on Ebay.

Bottom line is, as I recall, these were produced in Italy, and at one point, the non-medallion version was selling at CDNN for $9.95.

Knowledgeable Colt people can spot these non-factory grips a mile away.

The shape of the "thumb rests" and the checkering is a dead give-away, as is the general shape, which is "off" from Colt-original.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts