Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a nice '75 vintage 6" Python with a set of ugly target grips on it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=36103&an=0&page=2#Post36103

I began my search for a set of Colt OEM grips for it.

Well, I've been out of this whole Colt thing for awhile and was shocked by the going prices for grips and related Colt parts. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My question is, is it normal for Colt grips to have a gap between the bottom of the frame and the cut out on the grips? I'm talking a 3/32" gap.

I've owned Pythons (6) in the past and don't recall this on any of them.

I did buy but reluctantly returned a very nice set with this exact gap and one of the grip pin holes being too sloppy. The grips would not stay put on the gun. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

One other seller had two sets for $175 and $200! I passed.

I called Colt to see what might be available...NOTHING! Not even a set of Pachmayr with the Colt medallions. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The nice woman gave me three possible sources but no deal on what I'm looking for.

I ordered a set of generic Pachmayr Grippers for now and have inquired into the Heritage Series from Eagle.

Comments?

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
Is the "gap" you describe what you see when looking at the bottom, back of the back strap where it is exposed when the stocks (Colt calls them "stocks" and not "grips") are installed? If so, while such a gap is not desirable, it is not uncommon to see such a small gap due to variations in pin location on guns and production variations on stocks. It sounds like the stocks you had were far beyond the usual variation, and I too would have sent them back. I suspect you will not see that much variation again, unless your gun has a pin location far out of specification. The fact that one pin hole was enlarged may indicate someone trying to "adjust" the gap.

As far as price, I suggest you buy soon as these Colt target stocks seem to be appreciating as fast or faster than boxes! I cannot believe that 1980s vintage stocks are selling for more than the rare "real" 1950s vintage full-checkered Python stocks did just a year or two ago. The price quoted seems to be the market these days, and it is going up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I stand corrected on the "grips" vs. "stocks" terminology. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I'm not new to this thing, by far, but I know what I want in a fit for the $'s paid.
Looks like it will be rubber for now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Genuine Colt Target grips have gotten VERY expensive, but there are options.
First, are Pachmayr grips with Gold Colt medallions as used on the stainless Pythons.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=199580

These often turn up on Ebay at reasonable prices also.

Another option is to use Hogue Mono-Grips in either rubber, or fancy woods.
A LOT of Colt owners use these because of the way they feel and fit.
Prices are reasonable, even for wood.

Another option is to haunt Ebay and watch for genuine Colt target grips.
Although prices are getting ridiculous, once in a while a pair go for more reasonable prices.

Still another is a set of the same grips Colt used on the later Pythons like the Elite.
These are made by Excalibur?? and are available with and without Colt medallions:
http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/colt/item_1215006.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sir - Have one set of NEW Mustang Combat for the Python. These are full wrap-around on the frame. Fingergrooves on the front side, backstrap covered. Oiled walnut, smooth finish. Price - $32.00 delivered. Thanks - JUDGE [email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Sir - Have one set of NEW Mustang Combat for the Python. These are full wrap-around on the frame. Fingergrooves on the front side, backstrap covered. Oiled walnut, smooth finish. Price - $32.00 delivered. Thanks - JUDGE [email protected]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks but I'm looking for OEM "stocks".

Colt Python grips currently sell for more than I paid for my first Pythons new, back in the late '60's, early '70's! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try finding some for an early 60's Officer's Model Match (2nd version checkering that wraps under the medallion). Always mis-labeled, usually as Python stocks despite having silver, not gold, medallions and bringing more than a set of real Python stocks since they have the "special & rare" silver medallions. A correct OMM set sold last week on ebay for $122 - again labeled as Python stocks. And way too many people trying to sell their Trooper stocks as being correct for an OMM, despite being made from Colts light colored mystery wood instead of good walnut. Actually there are 3-4 sets on ebay now that are correct for late 60's-70's Pythons (3rd version checkering that ends well below the medallion).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Actually there are 3-4 sets on ebay now that are correct for late 60's-70's Pythons (3rd version checkering that ends well below the medallion).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently in the bidding for a set. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts
I can see the grips setteling down soon.Most Pythons were put up and kept in good shape.Or the grips were replaced by rubber ones for shooting.If you notice there hardly are any worn target grips for sale.It was just not too long ago that people would strip the grips off,,sell the grips for $150 and sell the gun for what they paid for and take their profit off the grips.They aren't coke bottles yet.Besides I think there are a whole lot more Python grips out there then coke bottle grips....My prediction is around $200 will be the price for mint Python grips for awhile yet,,then after 5 or 6 years,,,,well who knows then,,,JMO..what gets me though is a set of service grips sell for $192 on eBay.To me that is just auction fevor goon crazy,not the norm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts