Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear forum,

Just yesterday I purchased a 2in Python .357. Its got some dings and scratches, but is mechanically sound and the price was right. I am interested in...

1) Refinishing: There is one "ding" near the muzzle that refinishing won't help, but otherwise it would be worthwhile.

2) Action Job. I'd also be interested in things like Bolt-cut polishing, and breaking of sharp edges.

3) Inspection or tune-up. I've noticed that when I open the cylinder, the crane (correct word?) moves forward and backward (toward and away from the muzzle) a small amount. I suspect this isn't optimal! When in battery, the lockup is tight.

I understand Colts are "hard to work on" so I want to take my gun to a reputable gunsmith, preferably in the Philadelphia region. Anyone know any Colt revolver smiths in the Philly or PA?

------------------
Thanks, Dave

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,363 Posts
There used to be a top gunsmith company in Pittsburgh named Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters.

They were once used by Colt not only as a factory repair depot, but also as a factory warranty repair overflow.

Of course there's also Cylinder and Slide out West, and the Colt factory themselves.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 02-25-2003).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Here's who I have contacted so far, and the results:

Evolution Gun Works, http://www.egw-guns.com : Replied by email in one day. Doesn't work on Colt revolvers.

Grant Cunningham, [email protected] (featured in a recent Massad Ayoob article as a Python gunsmith): Replied by email in one day. Attached PDF price list. 3 month backlog, 3 week turnaround. Suggested sending Python to Colt for refinishing.

Cylinder & Slide, http://www.cylinder-slide.com : Emailed on Saturday. No reply by today (Wed 2/25/03).

Colt, http://www.colt.com : Colt does not accept email. Called 12:30 pm ET, Custom Shop was closed for lunch, no voice mail option. Haven't called back yet.

I did a websearch for Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters, including Yellow Pages. Not listed.

Thanks for the help! drf

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
There used to be a top gunsmith company in Pittsburgh named Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters.

They were once used by Colt not only as a factory repair depot, but also as a factory warranty repair overflow.

Of course there's also Cylinder and Slide out West, and the Colt factory themselves.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Here's who I have contacted so far, and the results:

Evolution Gun Works, http://www.egw-guns.com : Replied by email in one day. Doesn't work on Colt revolvers.

Grant Cunningham, [email protected] (featured in a recent Massad Ayoob article as a Python gunsmith): Replied by email in one day. Attached PDF price list. 3 month backlog, 3 week turnaround. Suggested sending Python to Colt for refinishing.

Cylinder & Slide, http://www.cylinder-slide.com : Emailed on Saturday. No reply by today (Wed 2/25/03).

Colt, http://www.colt.com : Colt does not accept email. Called 12:30 pm ET, Custom Shop was closed for lunch, no voice mail option. Haven't called back yet.

I did a websearch for Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters, including Yellow Pages. Not listed.

Thanks for the help! drf

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,363 Posts
Of the available options, I'd hold out for Colt or Cylinder and Slide.

Likely, Colt will be faster, since they have a bigger shop, and the price should be slightly better than most anybody else.

Both are famous for their work, and for stnading behind it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
David Feeney;

I recommend using Colt Shop in Hartford Ct.

I sent them beat up parts to refinish. They did as super job. Refinish was fantastatic.
Packaging was excellent and turn around time was three weeks door to door. Price is cheap compared to "local" estimates.

I always ship with Fedex...they are great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to follow up. I decided to send my police turn-in 2 in Python to Colt for work. Bottom line: Colt did a fabulous job, and went far beyond the call of duty!

Last month, I sent my Python to Colt for the following:

1) Royal Blue refinish
2) Replacement front sight

In my letter, I mentioned other problems but Colt didn't list those in their work order, so I assumed they wouldn't be done.

Long story short, I waited 35 days, which was less time than Colt quoted. I got the piece back yesterday, and it is awesome!

First, the Colt royal blue refinish is incredible. But even more impressive is the work Colt did for no charge:

Replacement hammer
Replacement trigger
Replacement bolt stop

In addition, I can state that a large gouge near the muzzle of the gun is now completely gone. No way that refinishing would have taken that gouge away. Could Colt have reworked the metal? Or could they have replaced the barrel itself?

At any rate, it looks and works brand new, deep blue all over, new hammer, new trigger, new bolt stop, tight as a bank vault, and for half-price of a NIB python. EXCELSIOR, COLT!!

------------------
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW, Pittsburgh Handguns is still in business, still stocks parts, and still does first rate work. For reference you can contact them at 412-766-6100.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JCM298A:
What was the cost, if I may ask?
John
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was $258 dollars total. The work order states Royal Blue refinish, and replacement front sight. Everything else appears to have been done gratis. Go Colt!

------------------
Thanks, Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts