Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have fallen in love with a nickel plated Colt Python but it has a stainless cylinder .. Any idea's why ? Has the original cylinder been replaced or did they come like this ? Does this devalue the gun ? The asking price is $1500 Australian .. It's described as in very good condition .. Also I can't find any info on year of manufacture .. The serial number is V25183 .. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Certainly a replacement cylinder and yes it does devalue the gun quite a bit in my opinion. I would put this in the "Shooter" catagory for sure.

$1500 Australian, doesn't that translate into about $900 US when you take into account the paperwork and shipping costs?

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's peculiar that a Python cylinder would be replaced. However, I agree it would be more of a shooter than a collector gun. I can tell you that the serial number falls in the 1978 range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks heaps for sharing your knowledge :) I really appreciate it. The Oz dollar is at about $0.93 to a US dollar at the moment so the price translates into around $1400 US. Maybe too much for a shooter. What do you think ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Certainly a replacement cylinder and yes it does devalue the gun quite a bit in my opinion. I would put this in the "Shooter" catagory for sure.
Keystone, a little education please. How can you tell from the picture with certainty it's a replacement cylinder? I own a BSS and a nice nickel (1962) Python. I'd have a hard time seeing
the difference just in a picture. Up close....pretty obvious. Help me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As the potential purchaser I can confirm that the cylinder is stainless & I would figure that it was a replacement as I believe the nickel Cobra was built with a nickel plated cylinder .. So would you pay $1400 US PLUS $80 transfer fee & freight ? I would really value all opinions as it,s my first colt & I don't want to pay for a silk purse & end up with a sows ear :)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
One of the reasons I could see it being replaced would be the fact that nickel is susceptible to being damaged if using the wrong cleaners.
It could be a simple fact that maybe the previous owner shot the gun and realized that after cleaning the cylinder that the nickel pealed or bubbled. Instead of trying to have the cylinder stripped & refinished, he simply had it replaced and refitted with a cylinder that was readily available.

Just a thought.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mate,As a fellow Aussie and python owner I can tell you that is a top price and I would not worry to much about the cylinder as I know of another 3 getting round that are nickel with stainless cylinder,Feel free to PM as I have a few Colts and am always up for a talk.Are you a member of shooting.com.au?You have done well to find a shiny python over here for that price.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
I say if the timing and lockup are sound, it will serve you well and SHOOT IT. Question for the group: Is an option to have that cylinder 'refinished' (plated) by Colt or would they not put a nickel plating on a SS cylinder? Not sure of the metal mechanics if plating would "stick" to stainless, but might be an option to get it to match.

On a side note, I'm looking for a replacement cylinder/ejector for my 1969 nickel 4" colt python too in the WTB forum if anyone has a "spare part" they want to sell. would take it in Blue or stainless too...PM me if you have one to sell.

Thanks.
K

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
You can plate over stainless. In my opinion if the gun is going to cost all that and to purchase a new cylinder or to plate the one on there and cost more money to do all the work, why buy it at that rate. The amount its going to stand after all the work you can purchase another gun with out all this issue. I wouldn't do it. That is just my 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts