Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a rare 3in. blued python that has had several thousand rounds through it and has some wear on it, for my 4in nickel python that has only had 30rds through it and is 95%+... even trade... there are no papers for either. If he can get a colt letter for the 3in. should I trade?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hhhhmmmmmmm,
Good question. You could always send the 3 incher back to colt for a refinish & letter.
That itself is gonna set you back a few hundred.
Then you still have a refinished hard to find Colt.
But is it still worth a sweet Nickel Python ?
I'm not sure about a 95% Nickel. Is it peeling or chipping ?
Why are you only giving it a 95% rating with only 30 rounds put through it ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If the 3 incher letters and depending on it's condition it would be worth more, possibly a lot more than the nickel 4 incher. I would trade in a heartbeat for two reasons. First for the rarity of the 3 incher and second because I don't really care for nickel guns. As you see above, Jeff would be hesitant because he is a fan of nickel guns. Different strokes for different folks so you have to make your decision.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hey Majic, I didn't mean to sound hesitant due to being a fan of Nickel guns. It's tough to actually make the call with-out seeing both guns.
The Nickel has had only 30 rounds through it, yet we're given a rating of 95%. That to me sounds rough for 30 rounds.
If the 3 incher is beat from all the rounds through it and shows it. The timing may be off, the blueing may be off, the lock up may be no good.
I'm a fan of NICE quality condition guns and always will be.
I would probably not give up a nice minty nickel Python for a beater 3 incher especially with out a letter from Colt.
I guess that tells it more like it is.
Trust me, I have dead mint Blue, Nickel & stainless guns.
I love all of them.
Do I like bright shiney guns, damn right I do. And it would be tough to part with any of them for a beater, no matter how rare is is.
If it's beater for beater it's a no brainer.
But, with-out seeing both guns, it's just a tough call for me at this time.
Hope that makes more sense.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Onphire, I have to agree with Jeff, that is NOT a good enough reason to keep the 'nickel' gun, they have to be damn near "perfect" to be of great value and still the market is 'limited', not a lot of people like 'nickel' guns, especially when they 'ain't perfect'.........
LOTS of care to consider with the 3", it better letter, too many "fakes" out there.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcom onphire82,

If he can get a letter (I'm sure you know this takes months) and its for real then definetly jump on it... Lets say you paid $800.00 for the nickel, then put out $500.00 to Colt for refinishing and tweeking (high questimate) you would end up with a very rare Python (lettered no less) for $1,300.00... If you wanted to you could easily double your investment over night...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
689 Posts
You're right, That may be a tad wishfull, whenever I here 3" Python I think Combat... But I would still make the trade...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depends on how bad you want the 3in.Python! Based on your description of the two revolvers, I'd hang onto the nickel python and wait for another 3 incher to come along. But, passion always plays a large part in your decision making! Putting logic to the passion of firearms enthusiasm is generally difficult; after all, how many guns do we REALLY NEED anyway? If that 3 inch Python has its hook in you, just do it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts