Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - new to the forum and I have a colt python that returns a model number I3630 from the colt website. I have had this since 1989 and see it is a 3 inch combat special. Gun is in great condition and just wondering what the approximate value might be in today's market. Never knew this was a rare gun for the past 25 years it had been in my safe. Any expert knowledge and help is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Everybody is going to want closer pics. Wondering if you have the original grips too. Its worth quite a bit even as it sits though. Probably more than you think. You will also get a number of offers to buy it..... Be prepared.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you have the Original box and papers? Has the gun been refinished? These are just a few questions we need to know. You really need to call Colt and order a factory letter on that gun to be able to Maximize its value if you don't have Original box and papers with correct label.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks g27racing. I do not have original grips had these pachmayr grips when I got it. Thanks for the warning not sure if I would sell it but might help me to understand the value.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any paperwork or box on the gun. Looks like I need to get the colt letter to verify. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As mentioned above you would need a letter to verify gun is authentic. If it is a 3" Combat Python it is desirable, the other side is it is a collector gun which means it is all about condition, condition, and condition. The most valuable ones to collectors will have the box and paperwork with it, the gun will also be in 99%+ condition with no handling marks, scratches etc. Anything less starts dropping price and can do so pretty quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Thanks, so let's say I have the letter, 95%, no box, no original grips, what would be an a approximate value? I know the paperwork and box and never being touched would make it worth more, but if it's not the case here and can't go back to get original equipment from the early 80's. Just looking at approximate value with what I do have. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chaosrob..not sure what you mean. How could you get the original box and paperwork for this gun? Not sure that is possible

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
In my opinion you don't need the Colt letter if you are willing to give a potential buyer the serial number and the serial number lookup comes back as a model I3630 as you have indicated. A letter certainly won't hurt and it will cost either $75 or $175 depending on how long you want to wait to receive the letter (aprox 4 months or 2 weeks). Determing a value is also not easy as most of these guns are original (grips), unfired or barely fired, original box etc. My guesstimate based what you say about the gun is a value of $4-5k. I am really interested to see how other people value the gun.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
He is making a tongue in cheek joke. There is a liar in Tenn that has been selling "original" Colt (and other brand) boxes for a number of years now. Many other dishonest people have been buying the stuff and then trying (and in many cases they are successful) passing them off as original boxes.

Chaosrob..not sure what you mean. How could you get the original box and paperwork for this gun? Not sure that is possible

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I have just been interested in the approximate value and have no issue publishing the serial number, it is VA9222 and thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
In case you missed what I was saying, the guy in Tenn says reproduction boxes but will tell you they are all original New Old Stock that he buys from former/retired employees. He is full of fecal matter but thats what he will tell you.

As you stated, the serial number does verify that it is a 3" blued. More pics are better for determining condition but that was a big hurdle.

Thanks! I have just been interested in the approximate value and have no issue publishing the serial number, it is VA9222 and thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
He has been getting away with it for quite a while. Any good collector can spot his boxes pretty easily but there are a lot of peole that can't, and many good collectors were novice at one time too. Most collectors, including myself, have been taken by a fake while educating ourselves. I am not encouraging you to buy a fake box. That is fraud anyway you slice it.

Ha! So would his fake box increase the value? Can't imagine he can get away with that!

·
Registered
502 Posts
The serial shows up on the Colt website as the correct model for a 3" (which is nice since Colt's website is totally hit or miss) so that removes any doubt over if it shipped as a 3". I would still recommend obtaining an Archive Letter if possible as it adds to the legitimacy of the gun. Very cool Colt!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I would say an easy $5k on value maybe more. If you're looking to sell, post it up here in the classifieds. I bet it would be gone in under a day. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts