Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys,
This is what I'm looking for, a list of Colt Python limited editions & Commemorative editions. Just a list of Pythons or sets containing Pythons of limited quantity.
I know there was the following....
SNAKE EYES set QTY of "500"
DOUBLE DIAMOND set QTY of "1000"
1976 Bicentennial set QTY of "1776"
SILVER SNAKE special edition QTY of "250"

What else is out there that I'm not thinking of ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Colt Python limited edition & commemorative he

Like the Hunter? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
And Ten Pointer?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Then the Silhouette and maybe the Combat, if you want to count that?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

The BATF Commemorative Special Edition. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I think I'm done.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks A1A, but I'm not qualifying any of those.
Do we have any production figs on any of them ?
Do we have any clue as to how many were made ?
To me (and this may be just my opinion), Colt made these for 1 year or so and never had a limited number for the pruduction. Those were not made as collectors sets or commemeoratives.
The Combat Python would maybe fit the bill, but I'm just not too sure about all the hunting & scoped versions of the Python.

What's the BATF special edition ?
Do we know what years they were made and maybe a quantity ?

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
689 Posts

A list like that would be ideal for collectors...

Let's see if this one applies. The "Alaska" of which there were 250 produced...

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
329 Posts
How about Kodiak and Grizzly???????????

·
Registered
689 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
How about Kodiak and Grizzly???????????

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that these are both limited editions. However they are 44 mags (Anacondas). I believe Gunwazy is seeking the limiteds for Pythons...

Good input however,
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
Jeff:

There was a North Dakota Centennial set, supposedly in all four barrel lengths with only 40 total (1989). I also have seen a couple of St. Paul PD commemoratives that were 6" and engraved, don't know how many were issued, but it couldn't have been many. HTH

B.W.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys.
Yes, I'm sorry, but the Kodiak & Grizzly do not apply. Those are Anaconda's & King Cobra's.

I have seen the Alaskan version.
I wonder if that BATF one was from the American Historical Foundation ? You know, that company that advertises 3 easy payments of 10 million dollars each. LOL

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
689 Posts

How about the "Target"...

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I didn't think the target was limited ?
It seems that I see them all the time.
I would actually say that they seem pretty common place, at least to me. That's why I never bought one.
Am I wrong about the Target ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
689 Posts

No doubt they (Targets) are more available then those mentioned prior, however; I believe they were made only in 1980, and they are unique in caliber... That is my logic behind mentioning it...

Here's the kicker; I would also think that the caliber and roll mark alone is a good reason for a collector to have one in his/her stable no matter what the numbers produced... They are also (99% w/box) selling for a premium as of late...

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44290334

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the kicker; I would also think that the caliber and roll mark alone is a good reason for a collector to have one in his/her stable no matter what the numbers produced... They are also (99% w/box) selling for a premium as of late...

[/ QUOTE ]

The key here is "AS OF LATE".
As of late, all Minty Pythons are up right now. I was able to buy the TARGET Pythons mint in the box for $800-$900 all last year (2005). I could have had about 10 or so and passed because they were so common. At least that was my findings. If you watch the auction sites, you can find them all the time.
Just my 2 pesos. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP!!!! I have been trying to find an approximate value of an Alaska 25th Commemorative (they just celebrated the 50th), number 14/200, in wood presentation box, never been fired, purchase new in Fairbanks, probably 1984. I have been to numerous gun shops and they just scratch their heads. Can anyone assist?

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Jeff - The following special edition Pythons were sold in the Colt Archive auctions three years ago. The number in parenthises is the hammer price.
Durham County Special edition ($1400)
Durham County Special Edition ($1700), tagged Archives 6/2/82
Minneapolis Police Special Edition ($1800)
"Sid's Salute to Truckers" 1 of 300 ($1300) - I don't know the significance of "Sid's Salute...".
Walking Tall Special Edition ($2000), tagged Archives 6/28/84
South Dakota Special Edition ($900)
DCSD Special Edition ($1300) - I have no idea what "DCSD" is, it was not explained in the auction description.
Colorado State Patrol Special Edition ($2000)
Florida State Patrol Special Edition 1 of 400 ($1700)
Florida Marine Patrol Special Edition ($1600), tagged Archives 7/5/84
Silver Snake Special Edition ($4500)
North Carolina Sheriff's Special Edition ($1900)
Florida Fish & Game Model ($2000)
Colorado State Patrol Special Edition ($1600), tagged Archives 7/5/84
St. Paul Police Department Special Edition ($1600), tagged Archives 3/16/81
BATF Special Edition ($1700), tagged Archives 8/16/82
Fer-De-Lance Model ($1800) - I'm not sure if this is really a special edtion or commemorative.
Double Diamond Set ($5500), with Officer's 45, tagged Archives 1/21/87
Bicentennial 3-gun Set ($3500)

Some of these guns may have been "one-off" prototypes.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some of these guns may have been "one-off" prototypes.

- - - - Buckspen
Most of these were the FIRST or the only one produced of these during that auction. All were lettered as such.
I wouldn't even use those for comps truthfully (that's just my opinion).
The Alaskan just does not have enough pull out there. It's a beautiful gun and it warrants a decent price.
It's actually engraved unlike some of the other applied type limited editions.
If it was a AMERICAN anniversary gun or something other than Alaska, it would demand a bigger audience.
For those stubborn people that have to have one of every Python produced, your stuck paying what ever the asking price is going to be due in part to it's rarity.
If the one on GB sold for $5k-$6k , I would not be surprised if you see 3 or 4 listed the following week.
Honestly, I think $3500 is a fair price for NIB one.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts