Colt Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
There will always be a defective part eventually...just a sad fact of manufacturing. It sucks when you're the one winning that lottery.

Colt...like any maker of any product needs to determine if the defect is due to design or manufacture and whether it's endemic to the product line or simply an anomaly. Replacing a defective part is the simple part...determining why takes time and effort.

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,433 Posts
I can't remember the name of the custom knife maker, it's been many years since I read about it. I was never much up on the top end custom makers, I was interested in American military knives, so I wasn't all that interested in his name. I'd heard of him as being at the top tier of custom makers.
It wasn't his fault....... he was a stock removal maker and got a bad blank from the steel mill.

As for Colt temporary production problems with the New Python, that's absolutely nothing new for any gun maker. Just recently......
Colt has recalled some new AR-15 rifles for a trigger problem.
S&W had to recall their new bullpup shotgun for splitting barrels.
S&W had to recall some of their early two piece barrel revolvers after barrels broke off the frame.
I've seen several recent ads in the American Rifleman recalling guns and ammunition by manufactures.

Again...... when you make many thousands of anything you're going to have some percentage of problems.
Perfection is not to be found.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Colt remedied my transfer bar failure quickly. I have since shot it well over 2,000 rounds, all handloads using loads from 148gr wadcutter target loads at 850fps, to 158gr JHP loads using max amounts of 2400 powder. No issues. I like it so much I bought a second 4.25” Python.
Colt did not provide any reason for the transfer bar failure, but they repaired and returned it with no cost to me, and it works fine. I am completely satisfied.
Brownells just sold me a couple of new front sights, one a fiber optic and one a Tritium sight. Now the only thing I would like for Colt to do, is make a Royal Blue Python, or Diamondback. Or Detective Special.
I consider the Double Action triggers on the new models to be superior to the triggers on the old models. The Single Action on the old models was typically crisper and of lighter pull weight than the 5# triggers on my new Pythons. Both look great. I am glad Colt took a chance, and made them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When you manufacture tens of thousands of anything, you're going to get an occasional defective part that can't be spotted at the factory no matter how good your quality control is.

I know of a man who bought a SUPER expensive knife from one of the most famed custom knife makers there ever was.
He waited years to get it, and a few days later was showing it to a friend when he dropped it on a concrete floor.

The blade simply broke in half !!!!
The problem was some unseen and unseeable flaw in the steel present from when it was made in the steel mill.
It could have been a tiny flaw in what was otherwise a good piece of steel, but my guess would be that the billet from which the knife was ground was over-hardened or more likely the tempering was faulty which would make the steel brittle. I think it's highly likely that the maker was a grinder, not a smith. The fault was therefore with whoever made the billet. In the early days of modern custom knife making, all damascus knives were ground from a billet made by the smith himself. Nowadays, some knife makers (i.e. grinders) will buy a damascus billet, and these are often made by knife smiths as sort of a sideline to their knife making. If the knife was not damascus, it was almost certainly ground from a billet made by a large foundry (maybe on a Monday morning after a long weekend?). Whether the man who made the knife was a maker or a smith, both the Knifemaker's Guild and the American Bladesmith Society would have expected him to assume responsibility and replace the knife, which I'm sure he did.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Colt remedied my transfer bar failure quickly. I have since shot it well over 2,000 rounds, all handloads using loads from 148gr wadcutter target loads at 850fps, to 158gr JHP loads using max amounts of 2400 powder. No issues. I like it so much I bought a second 4.25” Python.
Colt did not provide any reason for the transfer bar failure, but they repaired and returned it with no cost to me, and it works fine. I am completely satisfied.
Brownells just sold me a couple of new front sights, one a fiber optic and one a Tritium sight. Now the only thing I would like for Colt to do, is make a Royal Blue Python, or Diamondback. Or Detective Special.
I consider the Double Action triggers on the new models to be superior to the triggers on the old models. The Single Action on the old models was typically crisper and of lighter pull weight than the 5# triggers on my new Pythons. Both look great. I am glad Colt took a chance, and made them.
The Diamondback cannot happen. May be another .22 in the future but it will not be called a Diamondback. :(

·
Registered
877 Posts
Glad your Python got fixed easily, great to hear the company taking care of issues.

Thanks for the heads up on the sights, been checking Brownells regularly, always out of stock. Hadn't checked since several days or a week ago. Ordered the Tritium for my King Cobra (that I just put the Marbles Fiber Optic on). Will hold off for the Python until I can find one that is the correct height.

Reactions: ColtsDad

·
Registered
115 Posts
Colt CS told me unequivocally that the Marble front sight sold for the Python is the wrong height. It’s fine for the Cobra series but absolutely not for the Python. That backs my findings, end of story.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Colt C/S rep told me the same thing, after I had already ordered the Tritium and the Fiber Optic. Wonder who the idiot is who is in charge of parts for these guns? All Colt tells me is contact Midway or Brownells. Whoopee! I did, they put me on a list, told me when the sight blades arrived in stock, and sold them to me for a Python, knowing they won't work. Great marketing, but no follow-up. The sight blades are listed as being suitable for both guns. I'll see shortly:cautious:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Colt C/S rep told me the same thing, after I had already ordered the Tritium and the Fiber Optic. Wonder who the idiot is who is in charge of parts for these guns? All Colt tells me is contact Midway or Brownells. Whoopee! I did, they put me on a list, told me when the sight blades arrived in stock, and sold them to me for a Python, knowing they won't work. Great marketing, but no follow-up. The sight blades are listed as being suitable for both guns. I'll see shortly:cautious:
I doubt Brownells is aware. Pretty certain Colt listed them for the Python. Brownells would I'm sure take their word for it.

The tritium sight appears (in pictures) to be the exact same unit that came on my Night Cobra. The fiber optic looks (again from pictures) identical to the Marbles unit I just put on my King Cobra (color for one is listed as orange while the other says red).

They should fit any of the modern Cobra series. They will no doubt fit on the Python, but the height difference is glaringly obvious. If there were a huge amount of downward adjustability on the Python's rear sight, they would be fine. But there isn't.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts