Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I was looking at a Colt Python with a 2 1/2" barrel at the local gun shop and was wondering the value. It is a deep rich blue which I would guess is Royal Blue? There is a very faint line on the cylinder and no other marks that I spotted. The one thing I noticed was on the "357" lettering on the barrel-the top of the 5 and 7 were faint. Is this normal? The serial# is 309xx. Below the serial number is the number "2" and the letter "c". The grips-checkered wood-looked unused and there was an extra set of rubber grips. Also there is a shoulder holster setup with it. It is a pretty gun and I had a hard time holding back!! They had a price of $875. (consignment gun) But I better find out how much others think it worth? Also I was wondering the year it was made?
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I like the fact that it has the original wood Colt grips/stocks. So many people have raped the grips through the years that they are hard to find. The wood service stocks in minty condition with Gold Colt emblems are in the $100 range now by themselves.
The price does not sound bad at all for what you're describing.
I'm not sure about the "2C" under the serial number. Otherwise I would put it in the early 60's as when she was manufactured.
Colt is currently not making the Python and has not made the 2.5 inch tube for a few years now.
It's not rare, but rather much less common than the 4 or 6 inch version.
I would say a minty one like you are describing would easilly pull $800 on up to $1000. Mint unfired & boxed with original wood service grips/stocks would put you in the $1200-$1500 range if she's an early 60's gun.
That's just my opinion of course.
Your mileage may vary.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Gunkwazy is right on! We have a shorty blued one made in 1971 that is bout new, and paid $750.00 for it about a year ago, no box, or papers. Considered it a bargain.

If all the edges are sharp, and it doesn't look like the finish was fooled with, I would buy it myself. We see less of the 2-1/2" barrel variety around here than any others. The six inchers are the most common, with 4" after that.

We also have a 2-1/2" Stainless Python, and want a shorty nickel to go with it. They want $1,250. to $1,500. for them at the shows, and in the gun shops.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks to be a 1964 Python. Blue book has it at $850-98% so the price seems fair to me.

If the Python likes you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif go for it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Some of us like the short barrel Python more than others.
A lot of the snubbie Pythons find their way into a collection and can't find their way out.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ah! Jeff, poor Ed just got his first look at a 2 1/2" Python and you have to go and "bait" him like that, posting that pic. Now he will be hopelessly hooked.
Good luck Ed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information! Gunkwazy-those are nice looking revolvers! The problem with buying the python is---do I raid the savings account or use the charge card! I will be grounded either way! I am not supposed to buy anything till after Christmas! I'll let everyone know if I buy it!
Thanks again
Ed

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Just say that's what you would have bought after Christmas if you had waited. Makes sense to me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I tried to wait out the day and then I would have gone to work tomorrow through Sunday and the fever would be gone. But! down to the gun shop I went, offered a little less! and now I own a 2 1/2" Python!! I am kind of excited!! I cann't go shooting till next week, though. On closer examination it still looks great! The grips have just a little wear at the thumb and index finger. Bluing is great. The guy said he bought it about 10 years ago like new and fired it little. I would post a picture if I can figure out how to run my son's camera!
ED

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Congrats Ed,
Enjoy the heck out of her.

The bug has officially bit ya in the A$$.
Be careful or you'll have to buy more and more just to tame the beast.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
72 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I tried to wait out the day...

[/ QUOTE ]

Resistance is futile Ed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts