Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was fortunate enough to obtain another python. It is a 6 in bright stainless from the late 80's. I just noticed the front of the trigger is smooth and does not have 3 lines running down it like my 2nd gen python. It seems to be the exact same finish, is this factory or has it been smoothed? Has colt ever offered a python with a smooth trigger? Thank you.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
While it's possible the gun was a special order, it's most likely a owner modification.
If the gun was special ordered, a Colt Archive letter will list the custom features.

If however, the gun was purchased then sent back to Colt for the work, Colt will not have a record of that. Archive records only address the gun as it was when it was originally shipped.

In most cases, modifications like this are owner jobs, not factory. Smooth triggers are a owners modification that you see, if not often, at least often enough as to not be uncommon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this effect the value dramatically? Other than that it is in extremely good condition.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have never seen a smooth trigger Python unless modified from someone (colt or other). As for effecting the value? Maybe to a collector who wants one in original condition but then again if it has been fired the value is not where it would have been if new condition. In my opinion it is worth what it would be in used condition and what a buyer is willing to pay for it also if he or she likes the modification. It's not so bad, I personally like the smooth trigger. I've seen trigger shoes and they feel good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts