Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchsed a set of unused service grips/stocks for a Colt Python. The interesting thing is that they have the Gold Colt 150 emblems which means they were made after 1988 correct ? This was the time Colt was putting rubber on everything.
Has anyone ever seen these on a gun before ?
Were they offered as an option from Colt at that time, maybe through the custom shop ?
Are they just aftermarket stocks ?
After talking to the seller, he told me that there were very pricey and that they were ordered through Brownells many years ago.
Are these actually a Colt item, or just some nice knock-offs ?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Only help I have is recalling an earlier post (which you know I will search for) attesting to the fact that the 150th medallions were delivered for some time after 1986 in typical using up of overstock. I could also see the scenario that some were supplied circa 1986 for aftermarket sales to dealers like Brownells who may have had them in stock fo some time after that. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
jeff, i belive 1986 was the 150th year. look like the real deal to me.those service stocks are just about as hard to locate as the targets. may i ask what you had to pay??

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a familier picture.
I went and dug out the snubbie King Cobra to see if mine had the 150, but they did not.
I still wish I had more info.

thanks guys, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So that's it ???
My saga ends at a couple of old threads that A1A was nice enough to dig up ?

Oh well, Thanks for trying. Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
794 Posts
OK Jeff, let me take a stab.

Yes those are the 150 Anniversary medallions and were used by the factory from 1986 through at least 1988.

The stocks you have there in my opinion are exactly the same type that Numrich (Gun Parts) sells for about $45. I'm pretty sure they are made by Sile. If you notice the checkering you will see that it does not have the same amount of coverage as the factory stocks of the same style. Especially noticeable on the front edge.

Compare to any OP or OMT, etc, wood stock to see what I'm talking about. Even if you were change the medallions (which is easy to do on this set of stocks), they still would be noticeable as not being correct due to the checkering pattern. They are however very nice wood replacements.

I do not believe these are rare nor should they be pricey as you were told. Unless of course $45 is pricey to you. If you would like to buy a pricey set just like your photo above, let me know and I'll sell you one of my sets with the medallion of your choice at a terribly inflated price. I can even make up a story to go along with the sale! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I hope this has helped.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
If you dig up enough old threads, you eventually dig up an old threader. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
Old threader huh! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Well, that's the 1st time I've ever been call that. Good one A1A.

I think this is where I'm supposed to say: "I resemble that remark." Then followed by a short drum roll! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Not intended as an age comment - I'm in no position to do that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Intended as "long time contributor", but perhaps with a little tongue-in-cheek. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts