Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for a Colt Python and have an order placed with an on-line gun dealer, however, when it will ship is anyone’s guess. If obtaining a new one is not practical due to the long lead-time, I may think about utilizing the services of gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com.

Not being an expert on Colt revolvers, I was wondering what the difference is between a “Colt Python Elite” (the gun I have on order) and simply the “Colt Python” as I’ve seen them listed both ways. Thanks in advance and any information will be greatly appreciated.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Basically, the difference is the word "Elite" on the barrel.

In the late 1990's Colt changed the Python from a regular production gun to a Custom Shop item, and started stamping the barrel "Python Elite".

Other than that, there's no difference.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hello JSG,
If you don't mind me asking, did the dealer give you pricing on the new Python Elite ?
If so, can I ask what they quoted ?
You may be able to save yourself a couple hundred going to GunBroker.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com and really could not find anything at a good price. I am paying $995 for a new Python Elite in stainless with a 6" barrel. The gentlemen said it would take between 14 and 16 weeks to get. Since I am unfortunates enough to live in the PRNJ where permits to purchase handguns take between 5 and 7 months to get, 16 weeks does not present a problem at all.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
As so many dealers today just can't get new Pythons (the supply line has just about dried up) I think this dealer is just telling you that waiting period hoping one shows up somewhere. The factory isn't putting any out right now and it wouldn't take a distributor that long to ship what they have.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Is there any indication when Colt will restart production on the Python?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Last time I talked to them, they just said some time next year.
I'm not sure they even know for sure.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not the expert, but just for the record, after checking everyday on both Gunbroker.com and AutionArms.com, I finally found someone who was selling a brand new Python Elite, yes that is right, it was in one of the small print ads, but it was a new Elite...You just have to keep looking and checking all the ads if you want one now..otherwise, going to Gun Source.com which you might have already done and put in your order for (Whenever) Colt decides to re-manufacture the Python Elite is your best bet. Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you can get a NIB Python Elite for $995 that is AMAZING! www.Bishopsfineguns.com had several. He started asking $1600 for a NIB 6" stainless then the next day when I called to buy it he was asking $2000. I had then seen it on GunsAmerica for the $2000 so I guess he raised the price thinking $1600 was too little. I just bought a NIB Python Elite 4" stainless for $1565 and thought that was a great price.It has no cylinder drag line and is truly new. Now I think , again, it is too nice to shoot so I will use my blue non Elite Python as soon as it gets back from Colt. Seems a common problem I have seen in several is the front of the cylinder hitting the rear of the barrel. I paid $1100 for this blue Python and other than the "hitting" problem it looks totally "flawless".My local dealer had a 4" non Elite with an exceptional deep blue finish. I was ready to buy it for $1250 when I noticed this same problem.
I think the Python is just a work of art,well balanced, beautiful to look at and the trigger can only be described as perfect.
You are going to love your Elite just I think the $995 price is too good to be true. i hope he is not leading you on. I have seen them usually going for and actually being sold for $2300 and people are asking up to $2850 though I do not know if they sell at that price.
Hope it works out for you. Please do not post you actually paid $995 that would hurt.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hey Skeeter --- that post was from around 4 years ago :) But impressive searching to dig it up! You'll be A2A pretty soon :D

It does show that guns make more sense investing than anything else though.

I'd print those prices out and show them to your wife as often as necessary.

·
Registered
777 Posts
d.r.e. - I am always about four years behind the times. I did not even search it up and not sure what happened. I know I am overtired so maybe that is it?
Thanks for bringing me back to reality.
By the way what is "A2A"?
I might add that the wife spends equal money on her nails and hair and I always point out that i have something to show for "our" money. Just my big fear is if i pass away first the guns will be sold for pennies on the dollar. You might want to keep an eye on the obituaries and the sale that follows.
This is one reason I sold most of my guns but it is just the Pythons call to me.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
d.r.e. - I am always about four years behind the times. I did not even search it up and not sure what happened. I know I am overtired so maybe that is it?
Thanks for bringing me back to reality.
And here I thought you were just showing off! :)

By the way what is "A2A"?
Just a bad joke (pun?) --- A1A is the search stud on the forum, so since you managed to find this I figured you were next in line (A1A-> A2A) :D

I might add that the wife spends equal money on her nails and hair and I always point out that i have something to show for "our" money. Just my big fear is if i pass away first the guns will be sold for pennies on the dollar. You might want to keep an eye on the obituaries and the sale that follows.
This is one reason I sold most of my guns but it is just the Pythons call to me.
To match your morbid bent: the nice thing about current times is that as long as your heirs use gunbroker (and don't put a stupid low buy now on it) they should get what the colts are worth....

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Hey Skeeter --- that post was from around 4 years ago :) But impressive searching to dig it up! You'll be A2A pretty soon :D
If you look at this more recent thread, you will see that I did the digging. :mad: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21550 Skeeter chose to add to the referenced thread rather than the current thread. Sorry, but I am still the search stud. :) However, I have already selected a successor to be identified at a later time. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts