Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me what was the first year colt put the red insert in the front sight of a 2 1/2 bbl nickel python ? thank's. god bless ya

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It was around late '84 early '85 on the stainless models and around late '86 early '87 on the blued versions. Nickel Python's were discontinued in around 1985 when BSTS was introduced. I don't think there were any nickel Pythons with rr/wo sights. When the blued versions started getting them, nickel Pythons had already been discontinued. Are you sure it's nickel and not bright stainless?​

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i am not sure if it nickel or bsts. it dose not have a " s " on the gun . the ser# is 853xxe on proof house it is 1977. but i was told that colt re ran the same ser# on the python's but only on the bsts one's. from likr 1985-1990 but i do not know for sure can some one tell me? thank's

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I'm not sure who told you that Colt ran duplicate serial numbers.If they did that they would be breaking federal law for non duplicate serial numbers.D*

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yep, I agree with Daryl. I don't buy the duplicate serial numbers thing. Colt revolvers are archived and would really be a mess if an archive letter came up with 2 different guns having the same serial number.

Hope2's '86 Python is a first year blued Python to sport the red ramp sight and again, after the nickel Pythons were discontinued. I can assure you there were no Pythons in 1977 with rr sights and like I stated above, I don't think any standard production nickel Pythons were made with rr sights unless there was a special order option for the 1985 nickel models (the transition year from nickel to BSTS). The rr sight was added to the '77 Python in question and is not factory.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Certain Colts shared blocks of serial numbers but 2 seperate Colts will not have the same serial number. Whoever told ya that was smoking something illegal ;) .

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have a nickel 6" with RR/WO and it is 1981, K-188XX.
Your '81 Python may have rr/wo sights but it's not factory and were changed. No Pythons (or any other Colt) had rr/wo sights in 1981. The stainless Pythons were the first to get the rr/wo sights and that was about 3 years later.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Here is my 1982 Custom Shop Python with red insert / white outline sights. I have seen earlier Pythons with this Custom Shop feature, but none prior to 1981. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Your '81 Python may have rr/wo sights but it's not factory and were changed. No Pythons (or any other Colt) had rr/wo sights in 1981. The stainless Pythons were the first to get the rr/wo sights and that was about 3 years later.

Well, well, maybe, maybe not. As some famous board member once said, "with Colt, nothing is certain".[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Here is my 1982 Custom Shop Python with red insert / white outline sights. I have seen earlier Pythons with this Custom Shop feature, but none prior to 1981. Hope this helps and good luck.

Nice piece. I've never seen any 1981 Pythons with rr/wo either. I can see a special order Custom Shop Python from 1982 having it but not the standard production model. Like stated, the standard production stainless versions were the first to get rr/wo's in around late '84 and late '86 for the '87 line-up for the blued counterparts.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

Well, well, maybe, maybe not. As some famous board member once said, "with Colt, nothing is certain".
Very true and I'm one to say that however, unless it is stated on an archive letter or you have a Custom Shop label stating that like Kanatak, I would beg to differ and will say it didn't come with rr/wo sights.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Here is another early Custom Shop blue Python (1981) with red insert / white outline sights that was sold on Guns America in February 2011. I have seen others with very similar if not identical Custom Shop labels from this 1981-1982 time frame. I have not seen this sight configuration on any standard production Pythons from these years.

·
Registered
967 Posts
No Pythons (or any other Colt) had rr/wo sights in 1981. I see no caveat with that sentence. You have seen two today. I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
No Pythons (or any other Colt) had rr/wo sights in 1981. I see no caveat with that sentence. You have seen two today. I'll leave it at that.
Ok I'll rephrase that. Maybe I should've said no standard production Colts came with rr/wo sights in 1981. I knew there were special order options from the Custom Shop and like Kanatak also says, he either has not seen this sight configuration on any standard production Pythons from these years. Unless you have an archive letter or a Custom Shop label stating it has rr/wo sights, it's nothing more than a standard Python unless you have proof it's from the Custom Shop and came that way. If your '81 Python has rr/wo then Great! If it does then it's possible it's a Custom Shop gun. I was never trying to make light of what you had but you will never know if it came from the factory that way or if the sights were later added without a letter or the original box with a Custom Shop label stating rr/wo. Not a label or box from Mr. Colt box man. That's all I'm saying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts