Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
think is possible to put a new 38 spl barrel on a 357 mag Phyton revolver? if that's possible what needs to be changed or altered..appreciate your help

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
It depends on WHAT barrel.

If you mean that you want to put a .38 Special PYTHON barrel on a 357 Python, the only consideration is to insure that the threads are compatible.
A few years ago, Colt changed the threads to a different spec, and not all barrels will interchange.

If you want to put a DIFFERENT model of Colt barrel on a Python, it likely won't look right, since the frame is intended to match up with a ribbed barrel.

If you want a .38 Python, it's not the barrel that needs to be changed, since they are the same spec.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What are you trying to gain by placing a 38 Special barrel on a 357 Python? 357 Pythons usually shoot 38's just fine.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Matthias, I don't get it either. What are you trying to do, turn it into some kind of a 38 "Target" model? No matter what you do, it will always be a hybrid, parts gun and will never letter or pass for anything else.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys for your response..OK here is the situation: a friend of mine from Mexico,recently inherited a 357 Colt Python,but the problem is that the maximum caliber allowed for civilians is 38 spl (talking about handguns),so he cannot register or sell the revolver and obviously he wants to keep it (too hard to get a good gun in Mexico)...well,since the caliber is marked on the barrel,I thought a barrel change using a Python 38 spl barrel ,(wich can be purchased in e-gunparts.com and can be imported for a civilian from Mexico without problem) would be the best thing to do to register legally the gun or get rid of it,but what a waste...any suggestions??? thanks...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
In that case, it would make some sense to change the barrel (don't ever give up the gun). But let me ask you a question, what if he took the .357 marking off the barrel and replaced the cylinder with one he could prove could only chamber 38SPL cartridges, would that make it legal? It would be easier and less expensive.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we already talk about your recomendation Diamonback68 and aeems the best alternative...he will keep the gun..thank you guys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts