Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several revolvers in my collection, mostly S&W and some Colts. I started thinking the other night. The S&W's have problems, the K frames can't handle .357 loads, the forcing cone erodes and the revolvers develope end shake.

Now, why don't you ever hear of these problems with Colts? The only problems you do seem to hear about are timing. Are the Colts just made that well?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
The Colt revolvers were built on heavier frames, larger diameter cylinders with off-set locking notches, and larger diameter barrels.

In other words, S&W basically copied the dimensions of the Colt mid-frame revolvers when they designed the S&W "L" frame revolver like the 686.

Due to the cylinder locking notches being off-set, the Colt is technically STILL stronger than the S&W "L" frame.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shame I don't have more Colts then S&W. I think the biggest problem I have with Colt is there isn't a wide variety of calibers like S&W. Example, I can't find a .44 spl other then SAA.

But of all my .357 guns the Python is my favorite. When it comes to .22 rf my old OM is far more accurate then the S&W 17. Just made me wonder why the Colts hold together better.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The K-frame was designed as a .38sp cartridge revolver. It was beefed up slightly to handle the original .357mag cartridge. When the ammo makers took the cartidge to a higher level the K-frame began to run on it's ragged edge.
As stated above, the Colt was built on a heavier frame and had no trouble with the cartridge no matter the loading.
S&W did finally realize that Colt, Ruger, and Dan Wesson all were built on larger frames and never had any problems shooting the .357mag. They developed the L-frame which then put them in the same league as everyone else.
Historically the .44 caliber was used by S&W and that's what they made their name on. Colt preferred the .45 caliber and have been known for it.
You will have to look to all the nice pre-war large framed Colts to find the big bore chamberings. When the New Service went out of production Colt concentrated on just the mid and small bore revolvers as those were the more popular cartidges of that time frame.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 10-30-2004).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
joed,while I love prewar S&W N Frames as much as any gun,the Colt New Service was made in a wider variety of calibers before its sad demise during World War 2. It took Colt to around 1989-90 to finally bring out a big bore D.A. revolver;the Anaconda in .44 mag and .45 Colt. But never bought one,just never lived up to my New Services in fit or finish-and it wasn't the old style action or blue finish. Yeah,I know,a big bore on the Python action wouldve been well over $1000,even then! Bud

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to have to take a look at some of the New Service revolvers. I own to many .38 and .357's now and in no way could justify another.

But I have to say I love the Colts I have and they don't seem to have any of the problems my S&W revolvers do.

My friend has an Anaconda, I'm going to have to take a look at it. I have 2 N frame S&W .44's and like them. But when I bought them I was told not to shoot over a 240 gr bullet in either because they don't have the endurance package. So yet another S&W shortcoming.

I think I fell for the Colts when the guy in a gun store I frequented put a Python in my hand and explained how the action works.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You can shoot heavier loads in your pre-endurance package S&W revolvers. Just limit the amount of usage.
The New Service suffers the same fate as age dictates moderate loads to be used.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today while in Gander Mountain I noticed a Colt Anaconda for sale. Price, $800. Boy I came close to buying it. I've had enough of S&W even though I have quite a few in my collection.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I share Lonewolf's thoughts about the New Service and the Anaconda, but current S&W production with safety lock holes in the receivers, barrel shrouds, MIM parts, and the SCATi construction(more descriptive I think than TiScan), all of a sudden make the Anaconda's look better and better every day.

------------------
"And the blithe revolver began to sing/ To the blade that twanged on the locking-ring..."

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just have to look at the S&W revolvers in my collection and the Colts and it doesn't take long to see the quality in the Colts.

I have a .357 K frame that doesn't hold up to hot loads and a few N frame .44's that won't shoot heavy loads. My Python hasn't complained and my friends Anaconda does fine. That's what got me started on this topic.

The only problems I have with the Colts is timing. My Python was almost out of time and now my 1930 OM is almost out of time, but that's it. No other problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts