Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a R6601 with the original blue label box. No docs. It has a plastic gun bag with a sticker serial number that matches the gun serial number and a April 94 date. Sounds good to me but I can’t find the serial number in the Colt Databases to confirm.

MH076778

https://imgur.com/a/SnFlU

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Your birth plastic bag is probably correct because the published pre-ban serial number in Sept. 1994 was MH086020 and below.

There was another barrel marking under the handguards behind the front sight base but unfortunately Colt started it in 1995, so yours wont have it.

You could call Colt but they might have it or not, maybe just try to see if they have some kind of record of your rifle.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Most Colt AR owners calls the plastic bag that wraps the firearm "the birth bag" and it usually have a date when they boxed it.

Sometimes there are no date on the plastic bag and on 1995 and later production most owners would check the date marking on the barrel under the handguards.

There are times that the barrel date and the plastic bag are not the same, sometimes the barrel was made months before the gun was packaged in the box.

I don't really notice when the factory started to include the boxing date on the plastic birth bag, I had been a Colt AR owner for 46 years now.

My first Colt and high power rifle was a new AR-15 SP1 I bought in 1971, and I have bought a total of 12 Colt rifles and carbines.

I had a HBAR rifle older than yours, a model R6600 that I bought new in 1986 when they first came to the market, I used it mainly for DCM/ CMP rifle competition but sold it in 2001 during the ban when I was not using it much anymore. I stopped competing in 1996 when my first son was born.

Currently I have 4 Colt AR, a Match Target HBAR lower (post ban made during the assault weapons ban decade) with new USGI M-16A2 Colt 20" barrel upper half (never issued made in the 1980s), AR6721 AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine (HBAR heavy profile barrel 1/9 twist made in 2002, bought new old stock in 2005), another 6721 carbine with small hammer and trigger pins (made & bought in 2010), and SP6920 Sporter M4 Carbine (made & bought in 2011).

Reactions: SanchoPanza
1 - 4 of 4 Posts