Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a Colt Rainmaker 32 come up for sale locally. They're asking $400.00 Any one have a idea or info about this Colt?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's priced at $400.00 He's had it for years.Said he found it in a old house he demolished. The catch is it's not registered.He wants to sell it with a bill of sale.Not sure on the legalities of that. I don't want to take any chances.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I am not familiar with MI laws about gun ownership. Here in VA, we would not hesitate buying from another person as long as we felt he was not selling stolen goods.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I am familiar with Michigan laws. If the gun is pre-1898, it does not have to be registered, as it is an antique. Rainmaker must be in the 66000-121000 range to be authentic. This range corresponds to 1888-1900, so most of the Rainmakers are pre-1898 antiques. What's the gun serial number?

Even if the gun was made in the last couple of years where it falls into the modern firearm category and has to be registered in Michigan, asking your local police nicely will likely do the trick. When I lived in Michigan for a few years, I put in a good word for an elderly neighbor who had old unregistered handguns he brought when he moved from another state, and my local police department took care of it. In fact, he wanted to register them so he could sell them. I think that any gun made before the registration was instituted (believe it or not back in 1920s in Michigan), which a Rainmaker would be, is not going to be questioned.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Should have a caliber on bbl 'Colt DA .32'. Only 200 were made in the 66xxx-121xxx range. What is serial number? I've wanted one for years and the only guy I know who has one won't sell. If legit and 400 (even if action is broke) buy it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have been collecting serial numbers and information on the rainmakers. I have serial numbers for 32 of them. In all of my research I feel that Colt made about 246 of them. I would like to see photos and get the whole serial number. The earliest serial number I have is 70246. It was made in 1888. Colts records indicate that they started making them in 1887. If anyone has any information or serial numbers and gun configurations I would like to add it to my data base.

Russ

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm getting educated also. Not sure what made him think it was a Rainmaker? I thought it was probably marked on the barrel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts