Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to long ago, I purchased the Standard Catalog of S&W for the Smith wing of my collection. Its a great refernce tool I wouldn't want to be without. Does anyone know of an equivalent reference book for Colt revolvers and autos? Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
The Book of Colt Firearms by Wilson and Sutherland is the "Bible" of general Colt collector reference works. It covers every Colt firearm from the first on through about 1970. plus some Colt-related non-firerarm items. It has some errors in it, but it is the best there is for a general reference. It was published in 1971, and there is usually one up on eBay. Expect to pay $200 (a bargain price) or more. Colt, an American Legend, as suggested above, has some of the information in TBOCF and pretty color pictures, plus a serial number chart that runs through about 1985, but it lacks detail and completeness.

Of course, there are also books on particular models, such as the Single Action Army, Government Models, Military 1911 and 1911A1, New Service, .38 Super, National Match, 1905, Woodsman, etc..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Don't buy the BOCFA that are currently on ebay as they are only dust jackets. Looking at the bidding it almost apears buyers believe this is a book. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Too much for just a dust jacket.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I love Ebay... Now we will be selling dust jackets and books separately just like guns and boxes. I know, they are left overs. Any of you all see that bronze colt statue for sale.... pretty pricey stuff!!

As was mentioned, you have gotten good advice on the Colt reference books. Start with the American Legend book and then move to get the "bible". Severn is also fairly good and it is commonly offered for sale on Ebay as well.

Oh, by the way, not that much happened after 1985. Things were on the decline and Colt went into bankruptcy in late March 1992. A re-organization occurred and Colt was sold to investors. Some notable production has occurred, but there have only been a few models. You can get dating information from Colt directly for the post 1985 production for free. For a general picture book, the "Standard Catalog of Firearms" is not bad where you can see pictures of the various models, some production information, and their estimate of values. The "Blue Book of Gun Values" obviously has the most up to date Colt gun pricing, but they tend to be about a year behind in valuation. Still not a bad reference.

Buy a gun and buy a book. Repeat

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't know Keven.I bought my BOCFA off ePay and spent about $210 for it.It was like new condition.I researched the book and even Wilson sells them for $500...if he can get them.But of course now that he will be in prison who knows what now.My opinion is if you can get a excellent book and if you are experienced in eBay buying go for it at around $200 and you wont be disapointed.Seems like a lotta money but I don't think they printed that many.
Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know Keven.I bought my BOCFA off ePay and spent about $210 for it.It was like new condition.I researched the book and even Wilson sells them for $500...if he can get them.But of course now that he will be in prison who knows what now. ...Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Why will he be in prison?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Also consider 'U.S. Handguns of World War II'. Also pick up all the Colt catalogs you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
345 Posts
maybe I'm wrong,but I seen somewhere,maybe here,that there was only 1500 books published.I'm sure that is BS but from what I know about low production items,,,like the BOCFA,it's kinda like low production and speciality software.Who wants it has to pay the man.
Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts