Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to sending my old Python back to Colt for refurbishing. This is something I've talked about doing ever since I bought the gun.

I OK'd the work today after a quick call to their service dept. The price quoted somehow mentioned new grips and complete refurbishing for $315. I called back because the original grips are on the gun and there is nothing wrong with them.

So, the price is now down to $250 for a complete refurbishing of the gun. Local smiths wanted more then this to refurbish this gun. At this point I'm glad I sent it back to Colt.

Not bad at all. I'll post pictures on its return. However, they're talking 40 days turn around time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For that price the gun is being reblued and any mechanical problems taken care of.

When I sent it in the gun was just slightly out of time, the blueing was gone from the end of the barrel and there was pitting at the end of the barrel and on the cylinder.

The pitting wasn't bad but when I looked locally I was given prices of $350 from a number of smiths to retime and reblue the gun. So for $100 less I sent it back to Colt.

However, the quote can change if they find something else while working on the gun.

But all in all I think the price was fair and I bet the work will be better then I could have gotten locally.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Last year, I sent my Magnum Carry to Colt because it shot a pattern, not a group. In my cover letter, I mentioned that my Smith 649 shot a lot more accurately than the Colt. I also asked that they buff/polish some scratches.

After 35 days, it was returned better new. It shoots almost as well as the Smith and the scratches are gone.

You have something to look forward to,

John

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it made it back in just a little over a month. The factory did a real nice job on refurbishing the gun.

When I bought it there were a few areas with pitting. Not any more, smooth finish and reblued. The cylinder locks up just like a new Python and the timing is fantastic.

If there were anything I didn't like it's the trigger, seems heavier to me now.

Regrets? Not a one, I wouldn't hesitate to send any gun back to the factory.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Great news! Glad to hear you are happy. So how did Colt do preserving the barrel stampings and the horse on side plate? Was their (re)polishing obvious?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi! Sounds like Colt did a really good job on your gun! Can you tell me what kind of markings they may have placed on your gun to denote the factory refinish process? In the past, Colt has used the "&" and the "*" marking on a triggerguard web. Later they used an work order number, generally under the grips. Does your gun have any of these markings now... or something different??? Thanks! Bob Best

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by COLTDAGUY:

Hi! Sounds like Colt did a really good job on your gun! Can you tell me what kind of markings they may have placed on your gun to denote the factory refinish process? In the past, Colt has used the "&" and the "*" marking on a triggerguard web. Later they used an work order number, generally under the grips. Does your gun have any of these markings now... or something different??? Thanks! Bob Best
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too, would be interested in the markings. I have a Detective Special, manufactured in 1975, that I suspect to be factory reblued. It has a "B" stamped adjacent to the s/n in the crane cutout in the frame, and "INS" stamped under the left grip in rather large letters. Any information about Colts rework, especially refinish, markings over the past 25 years, would be appreciated

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They did a nice job of preserving the barrel stampings and it really is no worse then before I sent it in.

As for marks that it was reblued, I don't know if there are any. What should I look for and where should I look? Someone told me there would be markings but I didn't notice any. But I never took the grips off so there could be something under them.

I will say the bluing is different then the original. It's blacker, doesn't have the blue color of the original. But they did a beautiful job, wish I could get some pictures but I don't think they'd do it justice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just looked at the gun again. There are no marks that I can find that are new. I looked under the grips, on the crane and trigger guard web. Nothing.

Every time I look at that gun I can't believe what a nice job they did.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The Colt web site indicates they offer three different types of blueing: Matte Blue, Blue, and Royal Blue. Did you specify one of these in particular? Just wondering since you mentioned it is darker than it was originally.

[This message has been edited by manderson (edited 07-04-2004).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I specified the Royal Blue. It has a blue cast to it but I don't think it's the same as what Colt did years ago. But it almost looks like it is still curing or something if that makes sense.

Just compared my gun to a friends Python that is about 3 years old. As far as I can tell they are identicle in finish.

I was torn between having a local gunsmith do the gun or sending it to Colt. In my opinion I made the right choice. I've just seen to many bad blue jobs done by some of the smiths that are local.

One interesting sidenote about the refurbishing is that Colt wanted to replace the grips. Why I have no idea. On the estimate it mentioned the correct style was no longer available. Mine are fine except they are bare wood now.

[This message has been edited by joed (edited 07-04-2004).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts