Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a Colt representative here on the forum. I ask because I would like to replace the low profile GI type sights on my original MK IV Series 70 from the early 80's with the later high profile sights. Looking on the Colt web site parts section I see the late type high front sight listed but not the rear sight to go along with it. I tried to buy the Colt sights from Brownell's but they were back ordered for over 6 months and I finally gave up. Seems both front and rear should be available together.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
The current Colt stake-on front sight will not work on your Series 70. The older pistols with the GI type sights have a narrow tenion, and the newer ones have a wide tenon.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,548 Posts
As above, older Colt autos used what is known as the "narrow tenon" front sight which has a narrower stud on the sight that's riveted into the slide.
The rear sight dovetail is still the same so you can use any standard type sight.

The problem is, narrow tenon type front sights are hard to find, and I don't know of any that are higher or wider.

Probably the Colt Custom Shop can install new sights for you, and you'd only have to ship the slide, not the entire gun.
That will be a lot cheaper to do.

We do have a Colt representitive who posts, he's Brent Turchi who is the Colt Custom Shop and custom service manager.
He's know as 'BJT72'.

Email or PM him here:

View Profile: Bjt72 - Colt Forum

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
These King's sights with the .058 (Original Colt) front sight will work, but the front sight has to be staked into place. Actually it is more of a swaging or riveting operation than staking.
It isn't that hard to do, and for a one shot deal a staking tool could be fabricated.

Edit: I'm sure Colt can and would enlarge the mortice in the slide for the wider tenon front sight.

King 100 Sights

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.