Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years ago I bought an old Colt revolver in 45 caliber. It took half moon clips to use 45ACP ammo. I bought it for $25.00 at a junk auction and gave it to my father as a present after I had it re-blued. After his death someone in the family made off with it. I have looked at DA Colt revolvers in 45 caliber and think it might have been a 1917. Does that sound right to you or is there another revolver that I should be looking at. Since the original was stolen I want to get another one and have it fixed up in memory of my father. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
rdaniel, I applaud your goal of finding and fixing a revolver to help keep the memory of dear old dad alive and well.

You might consider looking through the photos in the Gallery section of Coltforum, then if/when you find the same revolver as your dad owned, feel free to post photos and questions about it. You may then wish to post a "Want to Buy" ad here, for free.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
+1 Collects....and if I was a betting man probably a "late model" as Wilson called it, New Service Model 1917. Barrel lengths were 4 1/2, 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. Fine weapon and in VG condition getting up there in price. That $25 deal was a real find even way back when. Hope you can retrace the memories and find one that will suit your needs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After taking your advice and looking at the forum section I am thinking the gun I bought for my Dad was a 1917 in 45LC because it took the half-moon clips to fire 45ACP. I am no colt expert so I'll ask you guys if that sounds right. It had a 6" barrel and a lanyard in the bottom of the grip if my memory is correct.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The 1917 when chambered for the .45 ACP didn't need the moon clips although "automatic ejection was only possible with the clip" TBOCF quote. The ejector could still be used, however, to unseat the spent cartridges for manual removal. There are SAA's on the market that come with 2 cylinders one for the .45LC and the other for the .45 ACP so common sense tells me your original purchase was chambered in .45 ACP (shruggin of the shoulders).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MtnSpur,
I suppose I am laboring under the misconception that it must have been a 45LC because of the moon clips. I was fairly young when I bought it for my Dad and made that assumption when we had to get the clips to use 45ACP in it. Did all the New Service 1917's use the clips? Trust me when I tell you I am very ignorant of the early Colt DA revolvers. Thanks for your reply. I am still looking for an old wall hanger to put in a shadow box in memory of my father but I want to get the right gun.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Igor, yes that is the exact gun. Thanks so much. Now I know what to look for. I think having it on my office wall with a short tribute to my Dad would be very fitting.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yep.....that would be very cool. I'll keep my eyes open........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts