Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why in the world would anyone buy an overpriced Colt SAA to the tune of $1500.00 and up when a Ruger Vaquero can be had for about a fifth the price? Same reason someone buys an overpriced Harley instead of a Jap rice grinder that'll run a Harley into the ground I guess.
Cuz it just ain't a gennywine Colt! Sure as hell wish I'd have kept my 5 1/2" .357 SAA and 7 1/2" .45 New Frontier.
Another sad, tragic case of 20/20 hindsight.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
What's wrong with a Ruger?

Personally I think Rugers are fantastic guns. I'll take all I can get for FREE, LOL especially the old ones. I like what a buddy of mine said who is a COLT SAA man, "In all honesty, if you dropped me in the wilderness for 6 months to make it on my own and offered me a nice SAA or a Blackhawk to live off of" he then wispers to me "I'd take the Blackhawk if my life depended on it". I agree, yeah the Colt is alot better fit and finish and not to mention alot purdyer, but I have NEVER seen a Blackhawk or ever heard of a Blackhawk breaking. Bill Ruger was a Great Man and one of the top 5 gun inventors of all time, and built a Great gun in the USA. Now if you want to talk about something not worth having lets start talking about Taurus, lol. JMHO.

Reactions: ralph7

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I like my Ruger SecuritY Six(s). A strong,reliable revolver AND accurate (in single action). I Like my Colts too,just a tad better than my sec sixes. Never had a Harley but had a Honda super sport back when Harleys were not very reliable. Mine didnt make as much noise as a Harley,but ran like a top, till I totalled it. At least Harleys (I think?) are made in USA which is a rarity these days.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ruger makes fine firearms, but I wouldn't put Bill Ruger in the top 5 gun inventors of all time. He did a great job of copying other designs and adapting them to good quality civilian arms that were available at a reasonable price. They still aren't a Colt, no matter what you do to them.
I don't know who the top firearm invertors would be, but John Browning is the top, by far. Samuel Colt wasn't bad. Dr. Gatling was great. Maxim was great, along with Eugene Stoner. Mauser brothers were great along with Remington. There are many other that were exceptional. I can't think of anything that Ruger has done that "changed" the world of firearm design. Their investment casting methods are excellent, but that is a manufacturing technique and not a firearm design.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Ruger makes fine firearms, but I wouldn't put Bill Ruger in the top 5 gun inventors of all time. He did a great job of copying other designs and adapting them to good quality civilian arms that were available at a reasonable price. They still aren't a Colt, no matter what you do to them.
I don't know who the top firearm invertors would be, but John Browning is the top, by far. Samuel Colt wasn't bad. Dr. Gatling was great. Maxim was great, along with Eugene Stoner. Mauser brothers were great along with Remington. There are many other that were exceptional. I can't think of anything that Ruger has done that "changed" the world of firearm design. Their investment casting methods are excellent, but that is a manufacturing technique and not a firearm design.
Everyone has their opinions and this is mine. Bill Ruger probably has more SUCCESSFUL designs/inventions than any other gun inventor EXCEPT John Moses Browning who I agree is number one. I do believe most people see Ruger as one of the greatest of all time, I do know Field and Stream, Guns and Ammo, American Rifleman and so on do and have said so. All and by the way when Field and Stream did the "50 Greatest Guns of All Time", Bill Ruger had 5 of them and all five were in the top 40 which is an amazing 10% of the total 50 greatest guns of all time. And all of these were from Ruger's Genius. Actually I didn't count how many Browning had in the top 50, but he is defintely, I agree the greatest of all time. And in my opinion, just because someone designs one great gun doesn't make them "top 5 of all time". Bill Ruger had opportunity to buy Colt and Winchester but did not what to put his company in finacial jeopardy. I am a Colt Collector and I don't think I even own a Ruger now (maybe one or two but I would have to dig through the safes to be sure but have owned MANY), but I have to give credit where credit is due. Another thing I know is get a .357 SAA (or 45) and a .357 Blackhawk and see which wears out faster, or get a single six and a Frontier Scout and see which one gives in first. Which gun would I rather own and do-the SAA, which is stronger and will last longer-the Blackhawk. Bill Ruger was a Great Man and A Great Inventor and Designer, and in my opinion definetly Top 5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts