Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful Police Positive Special, Nickle plated, 32.20 cal. The serial number puts it in the 1911 range of manufacture. Obviously this firearm has been reworked at the Colt factory. The last patent date on top of the barrel is Oct 5,1926 and the Colt rework mark "&" is found on the right rear trigger guard web. The numbers in question are 1266N found stamped on the front face of the cylinder and also on the left bottom of the grip frame, under the grips. What are these 1266N numbers?? In no way do these numbers come close to the serial number. Thanks Henri

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Henri; if it was a S&W,and done at their factory,I'd say it stood for December(12)1966(66)Refinished in Nickle(N). This is the way S&W has marked their factory refinishes. The "&" is right for Colt,and I am just guessing at the S&W part,but problem the "N" signifies a Nickle Refinish. Who knows?1266 could be the work number,inspector. Sounds like a fine gun,rare in both finish and caliber. Bud

·
Registered
794 Posts
Henri, is there any chance you can post a close up of the & rework mark? I asked the same thing of the group some time back but got no picture posters. I hope that you have the camera and the ability to post a close up picture here.

I have heard about the rework mark but I've never actually seen one. I would appreciate actually seeing an example so I know what to look for in the future.

Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry WS23 I don't have access to the equipment to post a close-up photo. Simple as it is it just appears as & . I have only observed this mark on one other factory rework besides mine. Both were on the trigger guard web. Henri

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your probably right Lonewolf. I have in some of my S&W guns, a couple of factory reworks. Most are older reworks and are denoted by a star stamped by the serial number and some are dated as to date of rework. Thanks for the input....Henri

1 - 5 of 5 Posts