Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago my wife and I attended a gun show held in Lakeland, Florida. Some New York friends were hosting the show. When I walked in the door a gentleman asked where I was from. Told him just outside of Little Rock. He told me he had a gun for me and would bring it the next day. Turns out it was an 1855 factory engraved root with ivory grips. The gun was from Arkansas and had a lot of very interesting Arkansas history. The gun belonged to a Civil War soldier whose dad helped write the Arkansas Constitution in 1819. On the grips you will see the name JRH Scott. It is for Confederate Captain John R. Homer Scott, 1st Battalion Arkansas Cavalry. He also served as 1st Lt in the Mexican War. Captain Scott is from a prominent Arkansas family with roots in Missouri. His father, Honorable Andrew Scott was appointed United States Judge, of the Territory of Arkansas. Judge Scott brought the family to Arkansas (Pope County-Russellville) in 1819 at the organization of the Territory. I have a lot of information on the family including a dual which was fought between Judge Scott and Judge Joseph Seldon. The dual was fought on an island in the Mississippi River near Helena, Arkansas. Judge Scott was unhurt. Judge Seldon died.

There is a great story about a duel fought on an island on the Mississippi River. Sorry I couldn't make this easier to read.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Beautiful gun. I’ve got a house in Vidalia, LA about a mile or two from where another famous duel was fought on the Mississippi River. Looking forward to reading the sources you posted in the morning.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Beautiful gun. I’ve got a house in Vidalia, LA about a mile or two from where another famous duel was fought on the Mississippi River. Looking forward to reading the sources you posted in the morning.
very good show ! vin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts