Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Colt wrap around rubber grips on their 1911 ?
How do they compare with the Pachmeyer grips ?

·
Registered
622 Posts
The Pachmeyers usually have a thumb swell on both sides of them, and feel better in my hand. I think the Pachmeyers are better made also..............Others may disagree, and want to keep the Colt rubber wrap around grips to stay original to the factory.

Tom

·
Registered
852 Posts
Rubber grips, whether Pachs or Colt, are pretty wretched IMHO. Just not my taste; the ones on my Gold Cup lasted 1min 38 seconds after the gun came home. They are now in the parts drawer, where they will remain until pigs fly.
Had another pair on a now-departed bright stainless Series 80; I trimmed off the portion that wrapped around the frontstrap, and that wasn't too bad.
No reservations about changing out grips on a 1911.
Moon

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
halfmoonclip My curiosity of your choice of grips is in somewhat of suspense. Actually a good thread might be 'MY Favorite Grips on A COLT 1911' . If it already exists let me know and I will try to revive.

·
Registered
622 Posts
halfmoonclip My curiosity of your choice of grips is in somewhat of suspense. Actually a good thread might be 'MY Favorite Grips on A COLT 1911' . If it already exists let me know and I will try to revive.
Thats a very interesting idea...............My Favorite grips on a Colt 1911 are Real Stag..........To my eye, nothing looks as good.

Tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
P1010210.jpg
Bottom-Old Pacs from late 60's (and Pac rubber coated MSH)
Center-New Pacs with gold Colt emblem.
Top-New Pacs with Pac emblem
On the top gun I now have Colt grips with the Colt silver emblem. They are more plastic feeling than the Pacs and do not have the thumb swells, but I really can't feel that much difference. But I am by no means as expert shooter.

·
Registered
852 Posts
88', you may well be correct that there is another thread out there. For me, any grip panels that are dimensionally the same as earlier Colt/1911 grips are good in my book. The basic design feels great in my hand; flat MSH and long trigger, or arched MSH and short trigger both work for me. The rubber grips extended around the front strap make the grip too large for comfort in my hands.
It's not hard to find pretty grips for the 1911, so go with what floats yer' boat.
Moon

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the colt black wrap arounds on my 1986 Officers ACP. I bought them to replace the originals. I love the "gripeness" of them and find them very comfortable on the range. My officers is my edc and the rubber grips don't catch on clothing or in anyway cause a problem.
I have a full size 1911 currently on order and I am seriously thinking of getting a set of the wrap arounds for it too!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have the colt black wrap arounds on my 1986 Officers ACP. I bought them to replace the originals. I love the "gripeness" of them and find them very comfortable on the range. My officers is my edc and the rubber grips don't catch on clothing or in anyway cause a problem.
I have a full size 1911 currently on order and I am seriously thinking of getting a set of the wrap arounds for it too!
All comes down to what feels right for you.
Moon

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 22918
Bottom-Old Pacs from late 60's (and Pac rubber coated MSH)
Center-New Pacs with gold Colt emblem.
Top-New Pacs with Pac emblem
On the top gun I now have Colt grips with the Colt silver emblem. They are more plastic feeling than the Pacs and do not have the thumb swells, but I really can't feel that much difference. But I am by no means as expert shooter.
I want to ask where you got the pac's with the gold colt medallion ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
IIRC, I got those on e-bay, a few months ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts