Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Could it be that the negative, or what ever is used to reproduce pictures, was reversed? It makes no sense to put the release on the right. That would only work well for "southpaws".

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 02-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 02-01-2004).]

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
No flame intended , but I don't think Colt has an advertising budget .

I read quite a few gun rags and brouse the rest at the magazine rack . I can't recall the last Colt ad that I've seen . Let alone on a regular basis like the Les Baer and Wilson ads .
The hardest thing for me to understand is that basic marketing tells you that in most cases you need to advertise your product to sell it . According to BATF 2001 records Colt made almost 30,000 handguns . Les Baer and Wilson combined made about 5,000 . Yet we see their full page ads regularly and no Colt at all ???? You'd think Colt could bury them with ads based on strength of numbers sold .

[This message has been edited by guy sajer (edited 01-26-2004).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree with you all. Too bad, too ... In the 60's and 70's, Colt ads were simply elegant. First rate. Class all the way. (Something missing in most gun circles, I think.) Yes, Guy, I think you're right - there ain't no advertising budget. (I could start work in June!?!?) I don't know about the picture reversal ... I do think it STINKS! (Unless, of course, there IS such a thing as a, "backwards," Python for left-handers, which I don't think there is.)
If I WAS a Colt exec, even the night janitor, I'd jack up SOMEBODY at Guns and Ammo, that's for sure. "Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated."

·
Registered
535 Posts
Has anyone else looked at the March Guns & Ammo? There's an article on p. 50 I wanted to share ... It's about Pythons. The author, Steve Comus makes several references to the P gun in the past tense ... like, they don't make it anymore!? That's news to me. Anyone? Even more interesting are the pictures on p51, which feature the Python with the cylinder release latch on the right side of the gun! You may be interested!? He also tells about having bought the Python and forgetting he owned one. "OK, Wise Guy ... pull over to the curb!"

·
Registered
95 Posts
No such thing as a left handed Python. It would be incredibly expensive to retool everthing except the barrel. I frequently see reversed photos, this is just poor quality control with editing/proof reading. I also don't think Colt has stopped making Pythons.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Surely agree about the lovely old Colt ads--and the cheap shots of such much of the current advertising.

Re: Reversed Negatives. You guys gotta give some slack to the poor guys who do the layouts with hundreds of photos of naked guns. If the writer is thoughtful enough to include something in the photograph with lettering on it (such as a cartridge box or book or whatever) it's pretty easy to check for reversal. Less so just looking at a weapon pix.

Not an excuse, but it's gotta be a hard job--especially with mediocre photos to consistently focus on details like a cylinder release to know the photo is reversed. Wouldn't want to be a photo intel analyist either.

I see many more typos in books of all sorts by major publishing houses nowadays than one used to see. It will probably get worse before it gets better. (And I ain't proofreading this missive either...)

Cheers all.

------------------
...for iron, cold iron is master of men all...

·
Registered
95 Posts
yEs, proof reeding is becoming a think of the passed. With every think beening written on computers, and all of these desktop publishing programs having spell checkers, grammar are getting worst.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts