Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the latest production numbers from just 3 of the 57 U.S. mfg.'s in 2011 from the July issue of Shooting Industry.

Sturm Ruger: Pistols-612,970 Revolvers-193,025 Rifles-308,282 Shotguns- 410 Total=1,114,687

S&W: Pistols-462,678 Revolvers-237,646 Rifles-156,705 Shotguns-14 Total=1,026,860

Colt: Pistols-46,363 Revolvers-1,154 Rifles-16,419 Total=64,236

Total U.S. firearm production from all mfg.'s in 2001-3,200,000 and in 2011-6,500,000

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Interesting information. Thanks for posting.

Colt is ignoring a large revolver market by not selling DA revolvers.

·
Registered
600 Posts
In 2011 S&W outsold Colt on pistols 10 to 1? Amazing. If these numbers are accurate Colt seems to be hovering on the brink of irrelevancy, or worse.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Colt cannot meet the demand for the models it now produces, so it is unrealistic to think that Colt will bring a totally new gun line to market.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I wonder...do these numbers include Colt Defense or just the civilian side? Are the other manufacturers, who do not break down their civilian vs police/military manufacturing contracts like Colt does, listing all production numbers then? We should compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. Just wondering which sgments are represented above. In any case, the 2010 numbers were posted here last year and if I am not mistaken these are significantly higher than 2010s numbers. i would search it myself now but just got home from my shift at work and am thinking more about sleep than a computer search!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder...do these numbers include Colt Defense or just the civilian side? Are the other manufacturers, who do not break down their civilian vs police/military manufacturing contracts like Colt does, listing all production numbers then? We should compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. Just wondering which sgments are represented above. In any case, the 2010 numbers were posted here last year and if I am not mistaken these are significantly higher than 2010s numbers. i would search it myself now but just got home from my shift at work and am thinking more about sleep than a computer search!
Yes, Colt's and Colt Defense

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I suspect Colt is well aware that the tiny number of voices clamoring for the return of DA revolvers to the product line would never actually purchase enough to support the cost of facility expansion, tooling, and hiring and training required to produce them for a profit. I also suspect most of us grizzled old curmudgeons would probably look down our nose at anything remotely cost competitive they came up with, that did not duplicate the over rated Pythons and Diamondbacks of days long gone. The mix of Tupperware frames, MIM parts, and Goodyear grips would be traumatizing....:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
^^^^ My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Why would S&W bother to make 14 shotguns....
S&W doesn't really "make" shotguns these days. Last I heard, the S&W shotguns were made in Turkey and would show up on the separate "import" list in the BATFE records. The Shooting Industry report shows 2012 shotgun imports from Turkey to be 390,868, but does not show who imported them. Some of that number should include those sold through S&W. The 14 listed as shipped by the S&W factory may have been special order guns routed through the custom shop(?), and that's a WAG on my part.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I suspect Colt is well aware that the tiny number of voices clamoring for the return of DA revolvers to the product line would never actually purchase enough to support the cost of facility expansion, tooling, and hiring and training required to produce them for a profit. I also suspect most of us grizzled old curmudgeons would probably look down our nose at anything remotely cost competitive they came up with, that did not duplicate the over rated Pythons and Diamondbacks of days long gone.
Ohio:

You may well be right. However, assuming these numbers to be correct S&W and Ruger combined to sell 430671 Revolvers in 2011(!) Somebody is buying revolvers and it is not just sentimental old geezers like me. Somehow S&W and Ruger seemed to have figured out how to design, make and sell revolvers for a profit. Why can't Colt, with the advantage of having a history and a brand name recognized by 95% of the entire planet?

The American public is clamoring for quality firearms, and yet Colt is limping along with an average monthly output of only 5353 firearms. If Colt can't sell guns by the carload in this circumstance then one has to wonder if current management has a grip on things. Is there more money to be made selling Colt factory letters than Colt guns?

Regards,
Charlie
Life Member, Colt Collectors Association

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Here are the latest production numbers from just 3 of the 57 U.S. mfg.'s in 2011 from the July issue of Shooting Industry.

Sturm Ruger: Pistols-612,970 Revolvers-193,025 Rifles-308,282 Shotguns- 410 Total=1,114,687

S&W: Pistols-462,678 Revolvers-237,646 Rifles-156,705 Shotguns-14 Total=1,026,860

Colt: Pistols-46,363 Revolvers-1,154 Rifles-16,419 Total=64,236

Total U.S. firearm production from all mfg.'s in 2001-3,200,000 and in 2011-6,500,000

Thanks for posting this information.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure no problem. If anyone needs numbers from any other mfg please let me know and I will post it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
........S&W and Ruger seemed to have figured out how to design, make and sell revolvers for a profit..........
Only Colt management can answer your questions about why they don't return to the DA market, and this statement from your post may say a lot about Colt's dilemma. I can only speculate, but while the other companies were moving ahead with new manufacturing materials and techniques, Colt management struggled through the failed MKIII and MKV revolvers and finally threw in the towel on DA revolvers because they could not compete. Now, they no longer have the floor space, machinery, or skilled workers to produce DA revolvers and, in my opinion, even the new management does not want to risk the huge investment it would take to get back into a shrinking market. Like others, I wish they would, but don't think it ever will as long as they are running full production and making money on current production items. Even their current production items are mostly old technology that is going to eventually fall by the wayside. They need to develop some new designs for the future if they want to stay in business. The AR15 and the 1911 type guns cannot support them forever.....Could be wrong on that one, since they already passed the 100 year mark...:)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
...Somehow S&W and Ruger seemed to have figured out how to design, make and sell revolvers for a profit. Why can't Colt...
Only Colt management can answer your questions about why they don't return to the DA market, and this statement from your post may say a lot about Colt's dilemma...

I'll answer that for you, with some harsh reality.

The vast majority of Ruger employees in AZ are not really employees. They are temp agency workers that make a flat $10 hr. & no bennies. Imagine trying to live on that on the East Coast. Ruger didn't move to AZ for the culture, I assure you. It was all about the money. As well, S&W sells far more low priced J Frames than any other model and they had to cut the MSRP because the Ruger LCR was literally killing them a few years back. The J Frames are low profit margin guns as well. Economics play a far greater factor than most realize. Few people would pay for a high dollar DA revolver today from Colt apart from a few loyalists and that won't be enough to pay the first shift of workers for a week.

The Colt DA revolver ain't a comin' back. I'm surprised they still are cranking out SAA's at that low production rate. Then again I think they keep it in the catalog as a nostalgic flagship model and not as a cash cow.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
.........Few people would pay for a high dollar DA revolver today from Colt apart from a few loyalists and that won't be enough to pay the first shift of workers for a week.
The Colt DA revolver ain't a comin' back. I'm surprised they still are cranking out SAA's at that low production rate. Then again I think they keep it in the catalog as a nostalgic flagship model and not as a cash cow.
Bingo! Colt cannot compete in those markets, as they now exist, without huge investments and adding new competitive products. If they ever attempt a comeback, I suspect the DA revolver will be a very small part of the lineup, if any.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts