Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 Gen. SA "Peacemaker" in 45 cal. The problem is the cyl. pin keeps jumping out of place after almost each shot. I have replaced the spring & plunger with factory Colt parts and if anything its worse now than B-4. I'm not shooting hot loads at all, pretty mild stuff. Any advise????

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
One "fix" is to slightly deepen the locking groove in the base pin.

One "home" method is to chuck the pin in a drill, and use a fine-cut round file to slightly deepen the groove.

Another is to buy one of the replacement base pins that's a tighter fit in the frame.

Also, you can fit a heavier lock spring to the lock.

Last, make sure the locking stud is in the right way.
The screw and spring should enter on the LEFT side, the stud on the right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Howdy

This problem is very common with Single Action revolvers. Rugers too.

Here is the web address of Belt Mountain, who specialize in making the oversize pins.
http://www.beltmountain.com/

I do not recommend the pin with the set screw. It is a pain to remove, and torquing the screw a little bit too much can actually slightly bend the pin, binding up the cylinder. I have replaced the pins on both of my SAA's with these pins. On one pin I had to do a little bit of custom fitting. The Belt Mountain pins are not quite the same as the original Colt pins. On a Colt pin, the 'locking groove', for want of a better word, is cut with a lathe and runs completely around the pin. On the Belt Mountain pins, the groove is just cut across the pin on a milling machine. And there is an enlarged flange with a cutout for barrel clearance. You must b careful how you line up the pin when inserting it or you will jam it, just like on a Ruger. I had to do a little custom fitting on one of my pins. Basically, you want theh spring latch to pop home all the way with a good snap.

Take out your pin, and snap the latch, watching how far it goes. Now put the pin back in and snap it again. Did it go all the way home? Probably not. By using a Sharpie to mark the groove in the pin, you can determine where the interference is. Use a small jewellers round file to lightly remove metal on the pin just where the interference is. Work slowly, just removing a little bit at a time. You should see the latch start to pop into place better and better as you go. When it pops smartly all the way home, you're done.

I replaced the pins in both my SAA's this way. I shoot Cowboy 2 or 3 times a month with heavy Black Powder loads and they never loosen any more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think Belt Mountain is pretty much of a one man operation, I doubt there is an 800 number. It's funny, I don't see a phone number anywhere on the website, but I've talked to Kelye in person several times. Maybe I called the fax number, I don't remember. You can send him an e-mail and I'm sure he'll get back to you if you have specific questions. He's good folks. The E-mail address is on the website. Last year when I put the pins in my Colts I needed one slightly different than standard size and we talked and he sent me what I needed.

Or you can just print out the form off the website and mail it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts