Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time back, I believe I discussed this pistol with forum members, who were very helpful in providing information on its nature and history.
The pistol is one of the 20 'reference' pistols Colt shipped to SA in 1912, to permit the Armory to make production drawings and, presumably, conduct interchangeability studies. Later, the pistols were completed by SA using the Colt frames, SA slides, a mix of parts from both, rust blued, and serial numbered in the range 125567 - 125586. This is the first pistol numbered in the series, and was sold (and marked so) to an NRA member.
I have decided to sell the pistol, and am posting in this sub-forum because this is not exactly a 'for sale' ad. I hope to attend the Las Vegas show later this month, and have also decided that, given the unusual nature of the pistol, the best option for such sale is by face-to-face examination and discussion, so that a potential buyer might satisfy himself about the correctness of the gun, and a fair price arrived at. Joe Poyer examined the pistol briefly at last year's Las Vegas show, and seemed satisfied that it is correct. The pistols in this series are discussed at length in Mr. Poyer's book.
I would appreciate having anyone who might be attending the Las Vegas show, and interested in this pistol, or knowing someone who may be, contact me beforehand, so that we can arrange to meet at the show.

All input appreciated!

mhb - MIke

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
It sounds a little like you want someone to put a value on your pistol and then pay it. If I go to a 7/11 for a cup of coffee, the cleark doesn't ask me what I'm willing to pay. Do your research and put a price on it you'll be happy with. You can always come down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good Point Mr Bowles. Perhaps the owner could throw up a pic and a price, and he could maybe save the trip to Nevada ? I'm guessing he's going to the Antique Arms show and not the SHOT Show. (My ticket is punched for the SHOT show. )

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I've examined 3 or 4 of these pistols over the years. Not all the pistols were so mismatched with Colt/SA parts. Here is my pistol in the group of 20. My pistol has a SA slide stop and the longer hammer that was approved in 1914. Other than that, it's pretty well all the original early 1912 Colt parts, including the original serif-H barrel. My pistol doesn't show much use and is the best example I've personally examined.
Would like to see your pistol up close and personal, but I typically don't go to Nevada for that show.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Bowles:

It sounds a little like you want someone to put a value on your pistol and then pay it. If I go to a 7/11 for a cup of coffee, the cleark doesn't ask me what I'm willing to pay. Do your research and put a price on it you'll be happy with. You can always come down.
During the time (several years) that I've had the pistol, I have attempted to research its value, but I've never found a fully comparable item offered for sale, or record of such a sale, so am unable to put a proper price on it. I do have information on SA pistols, early Colts, some guidance on NRA marked pistols, and Mr. Poyer's offhand comment about likely value when he examined it a year ago - none of which is much help in deciding on a reasonable asking price. I am willing to discuss all these things with anyone who is interested enough to examine the pistol and work with me.
The trip to Nevada is already scheduled.
I've already said that I think a face-to-face meeting and examination is the best option for sale of such an unusual item.
I would be grateful to Mr. Gahimer or anyone else who can provide pricing guidance based on recent sale of any comparable item, or knowledgeable advice on how to arrive at a workable figure.

mhb - MIke

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I've never really been able to value anything based on "other" sales. It seems like every pistol is a little different in one way or another. Two guns may both technically be 90%, but one will always present itself better. So I gave up trying to value guns I can't handle and inspect. Maybe I'm just incapable, but I won't even rely on photos. Guns always look different in hand, and I always shine them with a light to fully assess finish.
But good luck. Images on the site would still be interesting, if you can post them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps...

I've never really been able to value anything based on "other" sales. It seems like every pistol is a little different in one way or another. Two guns may both technically be 90%, but one will always present itself better. So I gave up trying to value guns I can't handle and inspect. Maybe I'm just incapable, but I won't even rely on photos. Guns always look different in hand, and I always shine them with a light to fully assess finish.
But good luck. Images on the site would still be interesting, if you can post them.
I have caused some misunderstanding of what I asked for - I do not want an evaluation of a pistol you have not seen. But, if you are aware of any sales of comparable items, and can point me to them, I'd appreciate it. On the other hand, if you are unaware of any such sales, that would be useful to know, as well. Then, too, if you have any general guidance as to how to view the value of this item, having characteristics of 3 separate desireable categories of collectible 1911 pistols, and being one of only 20 of its class, as compared to similar pistols with only one or two of those attributions, that would be equally helpful.
I will try to provide some photos, but my equipment (and skills) may limit their usefulness.

mhb - MIke

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photos...

I have made photos, which are the best I can do with my little Sony digital camera and limited skills: 004.JPG 005.JPG

mhb - MIke

·
Registered
709 Posts
The only real way to determine value is at an auction, in my opinion. Of course that is for the seling or purchasing of an item. Some may think that the selling price at an auction is too little, too much, but in the end that is what it was worth to the buyers there. Put a reserve of what the minimum you will take is, and hope it goes higher.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Johnny P. and Rigby:

The pistol is completely rust blued.
Actually, I talked to the major auction houses at Las Vegas last year - they were interested in the pistol and all were willing to accept it for their auctions.
But, at bottom, I don't like auctions, and would rather deal directly with an individual: I think we'd both come out better that way.

mhb - MIke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts