Colt Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I bought this revolver with a half letter from Kopec and I will keep this 1873 as long as the coronavirus leaves it to me ...
Thank you all ...
Yikes, I wonder how that happened, especially since the first page tends to be mostly speculation and it's the second page, more or less, that provides the pertinent details relative to your specific gun???

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
This thread has over 1150 views and only 41 replies. So a lot of people are watching, and hopefully learning. The OP did everyone a service, reminding us to be cautious when purchasing a U.S. SAA. I bought my first U.S. SAA, an Ainsworth, circa 1965. No one at that time was certain how they were supposed to look. I found out much later that the gun was all correct, but the U.S. had been neatly removed. Someone thought the bottom of the frame in front of the serial number was supposed to be marked U.S., so they stamped a U.S. there. Fooled me and others. Kopec and others have taught us how these guns are supposed to look. But even Kopec has changed his opinion on these guns over the years with continued study. I enjoy studying U.S. guns that have been restored/faked. Some are crude, some are amazingly convincing. All are worth examining, discussing and learning from. There are certainly a lot of these restored/faked guns out there.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Im confused or missing something. OP's gun first post #14017, now OP's gun post #28 with Kopec leter engraved?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If you contact Mr Kopec he may provide the second page of the letter. I am certain he keeps good records.
John Kopec keeps all of his letters. I'm not sure if he would provide the second letter for a small fee or not. This gun might have been further altered since he examined it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very cool revolver, I'd sure like to own. I'll just say, my great granddad's U.S. stamped 1881 manufactured 7&1/2" SAA (last seen by me in the late 1970's) was nickeled and there wasn't much nickel left on it, he did work as a scout out of Fort Davis but was not enlisted to our knowledge in any service after the C.S.A. How he came across the pistol, nobody knew for sure but it had his teeth imprint almost good enough to make dentures from in the walnut grips. My dad had seen him show how his teeth fit the marks when he was a kid. So, if he had a nickeled U.S. pistol, there's no reason to doubt an enlisted officer could have had one but every reason to doubt they might have been issued one. FWIW.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts